Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: complimentary hops with Ekuanot/Equinox/366  (Read 15985 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: complimentary hops with Ekuanot/Equinox/366
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 05:46:13 pm »
Would Ekuanot be good standalone in an American Wheat?

This beer is good.

50/50 Wheat and 2-row. Mangrove Jack West Coast Ale yeast.

Ekuanot hop stand and dry (1 on each in 3G batch).

There is a lot going on with this hop. All good.

Awesome! Looks good.
 Thought you might like it.
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 10:45:44 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. The hops I have are actually labelled equinox but I just knew that the name was recently changed.
Has anyone checked out this recipe:

Ekuanot HBC 366 American Pale Ale
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/ych-hops-american-pale-ale/

AHA had a deal last month with membership renewal you got 4oz Simcoe, 2 oz Ekuanot, and 1 oz Warrior from YCH. The amounts are tied to the recipe linked above.

Based on this thread I may use the 2oz Ekuanot stand alone in a 2.5G batch. Not sure.
Did you end up brewing this recipe? I have it planned for next week since I received the free hops.  They left 0.5oz of ekuanot out, not sure why.  I'm thinking of adding it to the dry hop for a total of 1.0 oz ekuanot and 1.5oz simcoe.  Shouldn't make that much of a difference no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 06:08:56 am »
Sorry for the confusion. The hops I have are actually labelled equinox but I just knew that the name was recently changed.
Has anyone checked out this recipe:

Ekuanot HBC 366 American Pale Ale
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/ych-hops-american-pale-ale/

AHA had a deal last month with membership renewal you got 4oz Simcoe, 2 oz Ekuanot, and 1 oz Warrior from YCH. The amounts are tied to the recipe linked above.

Based on this thread I may use the 2oz Ekuanot stand alone in a 2.5G batch. Not sure.
Did you end up brewing this recipe? I have it planned for next week since I received the free hops.  They left 0.5oz of ekuanot out, not sure why.  I'm thinking of adding it to the dry hop for a total of 1.0 oz ekuanot and 1.5oz simcoe.  Shouldn't make that much of a difference no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. I used the Ekuanot in an American Wheat; 1 oz hop stand and 1 oz dry. Great beer.

Based on my experience using the full 1 oz dry versus just 0.5 oz dry shouldn't be a problem.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 06:38:10 am »
Anyone have any thoughts on how Ekuanot would pair with some Columbus? I was thinking it might be nice 1:1 in an APA to let the Ekuanot dominate but the Columbus give it a bit of depth and classic character. Thoughts?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 06:41:16 am »
Anyone have any thoughts on how Ekuanot would pair with some Columbus? I was thinking it might be nice 1:1 in an APA to let the Ekuanot dominate but the Columbus give it a bit of depth and classic character. Thoughts?

I've done it and like it. The Columbus (or Chinook or Simcoe) is a nice balance for the fruit character of Ekuanot.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 07:42:28 am »
Great. Thanks for that. I think I am gong to sub those two hops in for Citra in the Zombie Dust knockoff malt bill with 1450. Wish me luck...

Offline secondbase

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 11:39:05 am »
Used it in an IPA with Columbus. 50/50 throughout, but went 2:1 Equinox to Columbus and it's really resiny with some tropical underneath. There is still a little character from the Columbus underneath but it's mostly Equinox coming through. Interesting hop.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 02:05:36 pm »
I'm planning to do two beers with my pound of ekuanot (13 gal batches give me enough beer for two kegs with a kittle wiggle room for dry hops). My thoughts were a single(ish) hop pale ale (bittering with CO² extract) using 9 oz of Ekuanot, split between whirlpool and dry-hopping; then 7 oz in an IPA blended 1:1 with chinook (understanding that Ekuanot will dominate the hop character). Here I would bitter with CO² extract, then drop 2 oz of hops at 5 min, 6 oz whirlpool, and 6 oz dry. Both beers would have fairly dry/neutral malt profiles, with CaraHell or perhaps CaraBlonde as the sole specialty grain (though some wheat malt and acidulated malt may be added for body/pH). And both would be fermented with a neutral American yeast (probably BRY-97 or Imperial Joystick).

Do these sound like reasonable approaches to get the most out of this pound and get to know Ekuanot better?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 03:46:33 pm »
I'm planning to do two beers with my pound of ekuanot (13 gal batches give me enough beer for two kegs with a kittle wiggle room for dry hops). My thoughts were a single(ish) hop pale ale (bittering with CO² extract) using 9 oz of Ekuanot, split between whirlpool and dry-hopping; then 7 oz in an IPA blended 1:1 with chinook (understanding that Ekuanot will dominate the hop character). Here I would bitter with CO² extract, then drop 2 oz of hops at 5 min, 6 oz whirlpool, and 6 oz dry. Both beers would have fairly dry/neutral malt profiles, with CaraHell or perhaps CaraBlonde as the sole specialty grain (though some wheat malt and acidulated malt may be added for body/pH). And both would be fermented with a neutral American yeast (probably BRY-97 or Imperial Joystick).

Do these sound like reasonable approaches to get the most out of this pound and get to know Ekuanot better?

Sounds good to me!  Be sure to post how they come out.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 03:59:15 pm »
2:1 Ekuanot/Simcoe made my best APA to date although I realize the Ekuanot dominates.

I have a current one fermenting that is 1:1:1 Ekuanot/Comet/Centennial which I am looking forward to.

Ekuanot may become my favorite hop as it seems to hit on a bit of all my desirable hop characteristics.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 08:27:16 am »

These will both be really good. Ekuanot is very good as a single hop. I'll be using it in an imperial hoppy amber within the month with 1:1:1:1 Ekuanot, Chinook, Cbus, and Centennial. Last year I did it with Simcoe instead of chinook, but I'm fresh out of Simcoe and seems to be a slight shortage on it with the places that I order from, so Chinook it is. This is one of my favorite beers.
Frank