Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling and gelatin  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
bottling and gelatin
« on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:52 am »
Too lazy to search around  :D. I normally bottle about once a year. I have never fined with gelatin as others have warned that it will drop out too much yeast and not carb properly. I was informed recently that there should still be plenty of yeast left to carb however I don't want to worry about adding yeast because that seems counter intuitive to me.

Am I better to not worry about it and just store them cold after they have carbed up?

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: bottling and gelatin
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:10:28 am »
I do 5.5 - 6 gal. batches so I always bottle 6-10 bottles even when I keg.  I always fine with gelatin and bottle carbonation is never a problem.

Edit:  I fine in the fermenter at 32*-38* F and let it sit for 1-3 days before keg/bottle.  And keg/bottle from a valve at the bottom of the fermenter.  I use this method https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23215.msg296546#msg296546 to prime bottles.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:31:02 am by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:47:58 am »
I prime and bottle exclusively.  For the past several batches I have used gelatin a few days in advance for clarity.  There is still plenty of yeast for natural carbonation, and no need to add any yeast.  Whoever told you there's not enough yeast left after gelatin probably never tried it themselves, because it's just not true.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:05:21 am »
Thanks! Sounds like I am clear to cold crash for a couple of days, add my normal amount of gelatin, then bottle a couple of days later.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 11:11:06 am »
I do 5.5 - 6 gal. batches so I always bottle 6-10 bottles even when I keg.  I always fine with gelatin and bottle carbonation is never a problem.

Edit:  I fine in the fermenter at 32*-38* F and let it sit for 1-3 days before keg/bottle.  And keg/bottle from a valve at the bottom of the fermenter.  I use this method https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23215.msg296546#msg296546 to prime bottles.

That's an interesting method.

I have my beer in a secondary now that is a bucket with a spigot. I will be making my priming solution, adding directly to the bucket, mixing gently, and bottling directly from the spigot. I think the only worry is to ensure it is well mixed without introducing too much oxygen.

I normally add the priming solution to a bottling bucket and transfer on top of it while gently stirring. This probably gets a more uniform mix more easily...