Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Purging keg and adding gelatin.  (Read 6619 times)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Purging keg and adding gelatin.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »
huh, I went back to try to find that brulosophy experiment that I was talking about and I can't seem to turn it up.  Maybe it was something that I heard them talking about on a podcast.  Sorry about that.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 06:16:53 pm »
5. Unscrew the PRV with the CO2 still on.
6. While the CO2 is trying to escape the now open PRV hole, inject Biofine/gelatin or othe finings through the PRV with a large medicine dropper or like syringe.
7. Screw PRV back on while CO2 continues to escape.

I think I'll switch to this procedure. My SOP has been to take off the lid and immediately open the gas valve to let CO2  blow over the surface of the beer as I add the gelatin - at least some level of protection. But this is better.  Thanks for the tip!
Jon H.

narvin

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 07:06:52 pm »

As a side note, for those that do all the closed transfer stuff to the kegs, are you back filling the fermentor with CO2 as you transfer out of it?  If not, then all the junk done on the keg end seems largely in vain since the fermenter is going to be swirling with mostly normal air all over the top of the liquid.

I push out of the fermenter with CO2, although I do it mostly because I can't lift 10 gallons high enough to siphon.

FYI if you've been to the AHA conference in the past two years, there's some new company selling gas QD fittings.  They include a part in the swag bag that fits perfectly into the smaller hole of an orange carboy cap and 1/4" gas tubing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:02:27 pm by narvin »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »
I've been racking under pressure but I'm considering switching to fermonsters and haven't figured out an easy way to do it. I'm thinking a solid cap, two holes, and two grommets might do the trick. If the gas in grommet leaks, I could replace with a bulkhead.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 07:59:25 pm »
5. Unscrew the PRV with the CO2 still on.
6. While the CO2 is trying to escape the now open PRV hole, inject Biofine/gelatin or othe finings through the PRV with a large medicine dropper or like syringe.
7. Screw PRV back on while CO2 continues to escape.

I think I'll switch to this procedure. My SOP has been to take off the lid and immediately open the gas valve to let CO2  blow over the surface of the beer as I add the gelatin - at least some level of protection. But this is better.  Thanks for the tip!
Your welcome! Hope it works well for you.

narvin

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 08:01:23 pm »
I'm not convinced that low O2 mashes are the secret, but after crashing I would definitely keep oxygen out.  It's easier to gelatin in the primary but the OP asked about a keg.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 03:48:42 pm »
huh, I went back to try to find that brulosophy experiment that I was talking about and I can't seem to turn it up.  Maybe it was something that I heard them talking about on a podcast.  Sorry about that.

Here it is: http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/18/fermentation-temperature-pt-5-lager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/