Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vic Secret  (Read 2539 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
Vic Secret
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:37:46 am »
I ordered online some Galaxy hops for a pale ale i would like to brew but instead they sent me Vic Secret. Anyone has any experience using this hops?.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Vic Secret
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:40:57 am »
I ordered online some Galaxy hops for a pale ale i would like to brew but instead they sent me Vic Secret. Anyone has any experience using this hops?.

I've never used them, but from the description I read they should work nicely in a pale ale.
I would get in touch with the shop that sent the wrong hops. They should send you the proper ones and let you keep the V S to make up for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:42:57 am by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:12:21 am »
I am jealous. I have been wanting to brew with Vic secret for a while. Should be great in a pale ale.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »

I've never used them, but from the description I read they should work nicely in a pale ale.
I would get in touch with the shop that sent the wrong hops. They should send you the proper ones and let you keep the V S to make up for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the tip!, i just sent an email to the shop.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 02:15:17 pm »
I am jealous. I have been wanting to brew with Vic secret for a while. Should be great in a pale ale.

Same here. They're on my list to buy but I have soooo many hops in the freezer. Famous last words, as the 2016 pellets should be out shortly.  ;)   IIRC erockrph likes them a lot.
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 04:09:35 pm »
Beavertown use them in one of my favourite pales.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:26:53 am »
I have soooo many hops in the freezer.

Me too, I got my best crop ever this year of sterlings and goldings. I still have eight ounces of sterlings from last years crop. I won't be buying any hops for quite a while.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Ebontree

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:49:26 am »
I`ve brewed twice with Vic Secret this year. It has wonderful aroma, lots of citrus and a little bit of pine. However it`s best only used in the whirlpool and dryhop. Earlier addtions during the boil will give a harsh/ sharp bitterness. It`s not really a hop variety I`ll be using again soon.
But of course preferences can vary from person to person. 
Dutch homebrewer striving towards perfection

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 11:50:55 am »
It has wonderful aroma, lots of citrus and a little bit of pine. However it`s best only used in the whirlpool and dryhop.

That is exactly where I thought it would be best.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »
If it has excellent late hop character (which I'd heard it does), why stop using it altogether because of it's unpleasant bittering character? I only use a handful of hops to bitter (mostly Magnum, Warrior, Columbus,Chinook, and Perle) and save the good late hops for late boil/whirlpool/dry.

Edit -  Not to say that Chinook and Columbus aren't great late as well, obviously.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:13:19 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Ebontree

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »
I phrased it wrong: For me Vic Secret is kinda ok-ish and as there are lots of varieties I haven`t used yet, I don`t see any reason to use it again any time soon.  ;)

I`ve only used it in 2 different ways in a Pale Ale:
1) Combined with some leftover Cascade/Amarillo/Citra during the boil (@ 10 and 5 minutes) and Vic Secret only during whirlpool and dryhop.
2) Vic Secret and Citra combined during the boil, whirlpool and dryhop.

The second one had a much sharper bitterness. I can only contribute this the late addition of Vic Secret during the boil (as the recipe was pretty much the same otherwise). So it really shines during Whirlpool and Dryhop. If I ever would use it again I would not use it during the boil.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:23:17 am by Ebontree »
Dutch homebrewer striving towards perfection

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 06:17:09 pm »
Vic Secret is one of my new staples. I get a whole lot of passionfruit character from it. It is very distinct, without a whole lot of dank - just straight passionfruit. Works great with Citra, Enigma, Nelson and Meridian from the hops I've used with it so far.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 09:26:17 pm »
All this talk about Victoria's Secret. Seems expensive. I only use muslin bags.  Is it the fine mesh or the fishnets that you guys are using?  My only advice -- don't let your wife and kids catch you.

:-D
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 09:03:23 am »
I phrased it wrong: For me Vic Secret is kinda ok-ish and as there are lots of varieties I haven`t used yet, I don`t see any reason to use it again any time soon.  ;)

I`ve only it in 2 different ways in a Pale Ale:
1) Combined with some leftover Cascade/Amarillo/Citra during the boil (@ 10 and 5 minutes) and Vic Secret only during whirlpool and dryhop.
2) Vic Secret and Citra combined during the boil, whirlpool and dryhop.

The second one had a much sharper bitterness. I can only contribute this the late addition of Vic Secret during the boil (as the recipe was pretty much the same otherwise). So it really shines during Whirlpool and Dryhop. If I ever would use it again I would not use it during the boil.

I was thinking using it at knock out, but i will focus moving it to whirlpool and dry hop as suggested. I have some spare Citra but i would like to first try it only with Vic to appreciate the aroma.