Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: commercial examples of Maibock/Helles Bock  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
commercial examples of Maibock/Helles Bock
« on: October 06, 2016, 01:30:54 pm »
This is a style that I have pretty much no familiarity with.

Any recommendations outside of the listed examples in BJCP guidelines?
Altenmünster Maibock, Ayinger Maibock, Capital Maibock, Blind Tiger Maibock, Einbecker Mai-Urbock, Hacker-Pschorr Hubertus Bock, Mahr’s Bock

Any widely distributed domestic versions are encouraged.

I have brewed a beer than I think most closely resembles a maibock but need to do some comparison. I wouldn't worry about it but I need to claim a base style for what I think will be entered in 29B.

EDIT - I just realized it might be hard to find some examples due to the time of year. Any year round examples?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:13:15 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: commercial examples of Maibock/Helles Bock
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:13:40 pm »
I will apologize for being a Grammer Fanatic, even though my German is not too strong.

If you search for the German ones, it would be better to use Heller Bock.

Das Bier is neutral, so Helles Bier
Der Bock, masculine for the Billy Goat, so Heller Bock. That is what the style is called in Germany.

BJCP has Americanized the name.

I see that Trader Joe's has the JB Heller Bock, no idea if that is good. Andechs makes one, as does Augustiner. No idea where to find one in good shape.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 02:22:29 pm »
I will apologize for being a Grammer Fanatic, even though my German is not too strong.

If you search for the German ones, it would be better to use Heller Bock.

Das Bier is neutral, so Helles Bier
Der Bock, masculine for the Billy Goat, so Heller Bock. That is what the style is called in Germany.

BJCP has Americanized the name.

I see that Trader Joe's has the JB Heller Bock, no idea if that is good. Andechs makes one, as does Augustiner. No idea where to find one in good shape.

Yes I failed to realize the time of year when originally posting. My beer is reasonably different than Heller Bock ingredient wise but that's what I feel like it tastes like. At least what I think it would taste like...

I know Rogue calls Dead Guy a Maibock but I thought that is kind of their interpretation...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 02:56:06 pm »
John Maier said that the first time the brewed it they got a German Lager yeast, and that was expensive. The next time they used Pacman, and it sold just as well.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 03:25:42 pm »
It is so intentionally seasonal, that I doubt you will find a fresh example until next March or so when the American examples start to show up on the early side of spring....  while I don't advocate using beer ranking sites, you could review Beer Advocate under Maibock and get a pretty extensive listing of both German and American versions of the Maibock style.

Rogue Dead Guy is a reasonably good beer, but I don't know that I would call it an epic example of the style.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:29:51 pm »
The only true commercial example of a Maibock was a fresh keg of Hofbrau Maibock at a restaurant.

Weirdly, a fresh bottle of Dead Guy reminds me the most of that beer. No, it isn't the same, but to me it seems to be in the same spirit.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »
If you like Dead Guy Ale, that is great - it approaches the style from an ale perspective, of course.  As to stylistic comparisons for it, the Maibocks from Capital Brewing out of Middleton Wisconsin, Smuttynose and Summit and Schell's Maifest are lagers that pretty well exemplify the style.  You might find one of them out there in a craft beer store or seller.  They tend to hold up reasonably well at least until the early fall - or so has been my experience.  Smuttynose Maibock is the biggest abv of those named.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 05:16:22 pm »
Gordon Biersch makes one year round, don't they?
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 10:40:38 am »
If you like Dead Guy Ale, that is great - it approaches the style from an ale perspective, of course.  As to stylistic comparisons for it, the Maibocks from Capital Brewing out of Middleton Wisconsin, Smuttynose and Summit and Schell's Maifest are lagers that pretty well exemplify the style.  You might find one of them out there in a craft beer store or seller.  They tend to hold up reasonably well at least until the early fall - or so has been my experience.  Smuttynose Maibock is the biggest abv of those named.

I will have to try dead guy again soon although it is considerably overpriced in my opinion. I don't believe I can get any of the other beers. Thanks for the help though

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 10:52:29 am »

I will have to try dead guy again soon although it is considerably overpriced in my opinion. I don't believe I can get any of the other beers. Thanks for the help though
No Rogue beer is worth what they charge. I don't get it. They charge astronomical prices compared to anyone else, it's always seemed...
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:54:20 am »

Dead Guy is to maibock what dog biscuits are to pizza.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 11:13:49 am »

;D
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 11:20:21 am »

So pretty similar?  ;)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 11:21:44 am »

No Rogue beer is worth what they charge. I don't get it. They charge astronomical prices compared to anyone else, it's always seemed...

I agree fully. Luckily I don't care for their beer so I don't have to decide on whether to spend the extra couple of dollars or not.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 03:51:54 pm »
Note that I was not saying it was great, just that if the poster liked it, then great.  To each his own, but as an ale attempting to be like a Maibock, it is often cited.  I haven't had a Rogue beer in a long time, so I couldn't compare it from memory.