Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Final Gravity and Attenuation  (Read 1324 times)

Offline braz24

• 1st Kit
Final Gravity and Attenuation
« on: October 31, 2016, 03:38:51 pm »
Hi All, my partner and I have been brewing the same 10 gallon IPA for over a year and have like our results. We have been looking for a little more mouth feel and efficiency that we know we can improve. Our base malt has always been a Canadian Superior 2-row.  We switch this last brew and used Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt. Doing everything the same, our OG jumped to 1.072.  We use Omega American Ale yeast and use one package for a starter and pitched 777 billion cells into just under 12 gallons of wort.  I just dry-hopped and took a reading and the FG came in at 1.020.  The fermentation was stopped after 10 days. I was figuring we would come in at around 1.014.

Is this normal due to the high OG? I know we under-pitched but not by a whole lot. The alcohol is still gonna be high (around 6.8). I guess my question is...is it ok to have a high OG beer come in at a high FG when the yeast pitch was in range?
Craig

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Final Gravity and Attenuation
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:59:59 pm »
How big was your starter with one package of yeast?  777 billion cells seems like a big overpitch for a 1.072 OG.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:11:26 am »
It may taste OK, might not be as dry as you have been making.

Are you in the UP? I love it up there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 06:25:56 am »
Sounds normal to me.  I am not familiar with Omega yeast but it's possible that this yeast is not as high an attenuator as say US-05 but you could adjust for this if desired either through dilution of this batch or replacement of malt for simple sugar in future batches.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:13:39 am »
If your yeast volume is correct you way overpitched. Even if you're being generous in your calculation you're still likely not underpitching.

The attenuation you show is within the lower end of the yeast for that gravity so it's not necessarily flawed. You might be able to gain a little more fermentation by rousing the yeast but it's likely done. Perhaps a little more nutrients at the beginning of fermentation and/or a later generation of the yeast would get a drier beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing