Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LODO American Blonde  (Read 3911 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
LODO American Blonde
« on: October 07, 2016, 06:21:59 am »
I still feel my beers could get an order of magnitude better than they are right now, so I'm going to give a shot at a LODO beer. The purpose is not so much to test for oxidation in the long range, but for immediate flavor enhancements. I want to see major improvements, no bias sh*t. It's a variation on the New World American Blonde from Gordon Strong's latest book:  44% pale, 44% pils, 7.5% Munich ||, 4.5% Caravienne. Galaxy and Citra in the boil and whirlpool. 21 IBU, 1.043 SG, American Ale II. Preboiled water, some (probably 40 ppm) na-meta added, 60m Hochkurz mash, no sparge, 60m simmer boil. Fermentation in a keg, spunding valve added after a couple of days, transfer to serving keg under co2 pressure. Since I'm taking these anti-oxidation measures all at the same time I won't know what the impact on the hot side is, but what's the harm in trying?

Sneers and other comments are welcome!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
Re: LODO American Blonde
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 07:12:57 am »
Congrats on giving it a shot! I don't know that I wouldn't use at least 50ppm (maybe more) until you learn how well your system is for oxidation.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 12:36:07 pm »
I tried some of the LODO techniques on the Rochefort clone I brewed last weekend.  No idea how it'll turn out (came in a little low on gravity and high in volume), but I definitely noticed that the house wasn't full of the smell of malt which it usually does when I brew.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 01:52:42 pm »
I definitely noticed that the house wasn't full of the smell of malt which it usually does when I brew.

I would definitely call that a success ;)
Frank P.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 04:41:59 am »
Without the preboil and smb the cold side closed transfer and spunding won't make a big difference short term. Have noticed a that another  fermentation in the final vessel seems help with oxidation as well.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 05:52:19 am »
Tried the meta once before in a mild. Smelled like Satan's a$$. Also, the yeast did not take off, not sure whether there was a connection. Dumped it.
Frank P.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 07:35:12 am »
Tried the meta once before in a mild. Smelled like Satan's a$$. Also, the yeast did not take off, not sure whether there was a connection. Dumped it.
Did you use the 100ppm dose and no sparge?
That seems to be the most you would ever want to use. I have fly sparged with 100 ppm and still had residual smb. Most have gone to 50ppm for no sparge.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:49:00 am by natebriscoe »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:20:09 am »
Yes i did use 100 ppm. Waaaay toooo muuuuch
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:44:03 am »
I tried some of the LODO techniques on the Rochefort clone I brewed last weekend.  No idea how it'll turn out (came in a little low on gravity and high in volume), but I definitely noticed that the house wasn't full of the smell of malt which it usually does when I brew.

Any results on this one? I plan to brew a low oxygen version of my Rochefort 4 "clone" in a couple of weeks.
Frank P.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:52:30 am »

Any results on this one? I plan to brew a low oxygen version of my Rochefort 4 "clone" in a couple of weeks.

I opened a bottle last weekend, but it was completely undercarbonated.  It tasted OK, but I didn't drink the whole glass.  I'll try another one this weekend and report back.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 08:58:39 am »

I opened a bottle last weekend, but it was completely undercarbonated.  It tasted OK, but I didn't drink the whole glass.  I'll try another one this weekend and report back.

Just asking because many Belgian brewers believe HSA to be a hoax. Not sure about the good monks from Rochefort though. And I'm very curious what the influence of low oxygen brewing is on Belgian styles.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 11:53:46 am »
Had my first glass of the American blonde tonight. It's a bit bland. But it's less than 4% ABV, and no crazy amounts of hops, so maybe that's normal. I'll need to drink another glass to verify.
Frank P.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 11:57:44 am »

Just asking because many Belgian brewers believe HSA to be a hoax. Not sure about the good monks from Rochefort though. And I'm very curious what the influence of low oxygen brewing is on Belgian styles.
I'd expect any of the small breweries to believe HSA is a farce. The larger breweries, though, most likely will tell you the opposite.
Jesse

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 11:59:20 am »

I'd expect any of the small breweries to believe HSA is a farce. The larger breweries, though, most likely will tell you the opposite.

And is Rochefort small or large, that's the question.
Frank P.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 01:56:12 pm »
Oh I'd say Rochefort is pretty large, especially if we're getting their beer over here en masse. Which reminds me, I have a bottle of Rochefort 10 in the fridge...mmmmm might have to drink that tonight. Election night! Which heaping pile will it be!!!
Jesse