Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SmartPID - smart temperature&process controller  (Read 9373 times)

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
  • Italian HB, Sommelier, DIY enthusiast, technology
    • SmartPID smart temperature and process controller
Re: SmartPID - smart temperature&process controller
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 05:45:27 pm »

Recipe managment is very simple it's just a matter to set mash in/out temperature and all step mash setting temperature and time value. Same in boil sectio, just input boil duratio, number of hop addition and hop time. In run mode "auto" you simple load the recipe and go...

about overboil prevention the feature is already in and powerful !
in the process parameter setup you configure BOIL Temperature and you can input for example 95C and also BOIL PWM percentage for example 80%

so when you exit mash out the controller provide full throttle to reach the boil temp as fast as possible than when you reach the boil temp power is set to the configured value.
With up and down key you can change the power from 0 to 100%

is it smart enough ?

arzaman

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 05:50:12 pm »
Sounds good. What about phone interface for adjustments to the recipe/schedule? I find UI on devices such as this to be lacking due to the limited input options. I don't want to press or hold the up button to get to my target, I'd much rather enter the numerical value.

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 12:04:16 pm »
Working to a plug-n-play and easy retrofit solution to upgrade original grinfather  controller with Smartpid and need some suggestions and ideas from GF community

The idea is to keep the original case and switches, just removing STC200 and rewiring Smartpid in order to get full process automation, recipe management, wifi data log, OLED graphical display, USB, etcetc.. and basically there a two options

1) connect heating element to relay 1 , connect pump to relay 2 in parallel to switch, connect temperature probe to one of the two control channel. Just two wires for pump and a screw driver !

You can benefit all the smart PID automation feature (including pump cycle automation) but the temperature control during step mash will be performed ON/OFF (with hysteresis) since is not advisable to use PID /PWM algorithm with mechanical relay output
Also during boil you lose the nice feature to control power via PWM 0-100%

2) insert in the case a solid state relay (10A minimum) to control heating elements, pump control and temperature probe as option 1

Little bit of extra work and a need of suitable SSR with heat sink to fit in the small spare space inside the case but you can benefit full PID + PWM solution either in mashing or in boiling

there is also a 3rd option more invasive that need to work on the base of GF separating 2 heating element now in series in order to control them separately (500W by PID during mashing, 1500 W by relay during mash in/out and boil)

what option do you prefer ? Any other suggestion ?

arzaman

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 09:21:27 pm »
This looks really cool. I will ask that question, how much will it be?

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 02:58:35 pm »
Happy to announce that next week smartPID will go live on kickstarter

Thank you for your patience,thank you for support and suggestions,thank you in advance for your contribution to bring smartpid to life

stay tuned
arzaman

https://youtu.be/HMgzq0XVB_4

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 05:14:26 pm »
Good for you man. Good luck

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 11:45:11 am »
Breaking news and great day for the project!!
I'm happy to inform you in advance that the crowdfunding campaign is started and SmartPID is finally live on INDIEGOGO

https://igg.me/at/smartpid/x

I see already some pledge from US and traffic from the forum and your community and thanks to all early adopter and backers but now the most important think is to spread the news to reach the maximum number of people.

I have chosen the hard way “all or nothing” to reach a certain volume and MoQ to keep production cost and consequently price affordable and next days I will start some mkt campaign but the success of the campaign depends greatly on you and the world of mouth is the key..I kindly ask you to engage your homebrewing, DIY enthusiasts, makers friends an let them know about the campaing
sure of your support I will update regularly

br Davide
arzaman engineering

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 11:59:47 am »

I would like to wish marry Xmas and happy new year to all smartPID project supporters and crowdfunding campaign backers

Campaign will run on INDIEGOGO until 11/1 so you have still the chance to make yourself a gift and allow smartPID to go live !
Best wishes again

https://igg.me/at/smartpid/x/15644037

Davide
arzaman engineering

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 08:10:21 am »
End of the year is time for balance !
2016 has been very hard and exciting, one year of design, development, prototypes, test ..lot of work and effort but also satisfaction
The startup of the project is not so easy and still some work have to be completed but  I hope 2017 will bring definitely SmartPID controller to life !

Thank you for your support and happy new year to the whole community

Davide
arzaman engineering

https://youtu.be/X9cXHUep1Ac

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 06:47:01 am »
Hi
short project update for this beginning 2017
Development continue and I'm happy to share a couple of news

From HW perspective I succeed adding an I2C expansion port on the back panel that provides lot of flexibility and expansion capabilities. The port has “grove” pin out and there are lot of sensors and actuators that can be connected.

The other improvement is related to the smartphone app. Lot of enhancement, new layout and now the possibility not only to monitor from remote the process parameter but also to modify the set point

have a look to this short video that show the remote control capabilites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJiMmr1yJE

hope you like this enhancement, stay tuned
Davide
arzman engineering

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »
Since I got few questions I would like to provide you an update of the project after the strategy review post indiegogo campaign.

I can confirm you that finally I have distributed 12 SmartPID to selected beta tester, it's an important milestone since after one year of work smartpid leave my laboratory and someone start really playing with it and provide real feedback.

I'm collecting the first feedback on all possible areas..from buy experience to fulfillment..from general look and feel to user experience ..from smartphone app to core features.

The overall feedback generally speaking is positive and I got really lot of valuable inputs either on fixing some problems (mainly in the smartphone app) or review and enhance some parts.

Here some unboxing and first integrations ..Lot of discussion and interaction (an lot of work)  !

In parallel the development proceeds on many different streams

I have released first version of the installation and configuration manual that provides all details to connect and configure smartPID (wifi config, thingspeak config,  Arduino IDE config and sketch compilation , FW upgrade and so on). You can download form the github page

A new SW release is now available either for the homebrewing app and smart thermostat adding two main content: Fahrenheit support and probe calibration support
In the short term roadmap some important enhancements are already palnned: delayed start for fridge (smart thermostat) and PID autotuning beta, should be interesting experiment autotuning algorithm  in your setup

As promised I have made smartPID open source and I  have also completed the github area with all source code,libraries, schema, driver etc.. so anyone that will enjoy programming and hacking smartPID can do !   Please remember that all material is subject to GNU V3 open source license

https://github.com/arzaman/smartPID

I have prepared also the website for adding a wiki section and a forum section. Hopefully I will release in live in the week end. This will allow better project documentation and interaction with all end user

The very good news is that end next week I should receive the front panel that is the last missing part so I'm potentially ready to provide to you the long waited smartpid (more or less in line with indiegogo campaing schedule)

My plan is to collect other feedback from beta tester up to end of February , fix major issue and than distribute the remaining  50 boards (with precedence to backers) and increase the community.. so stay tuned !

Davide

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »
Quick update on the project with special focus on new feature and enhancements of application SW
Delay Fridge start and PID auto tuning has been released and I have also added the configuration support for different beta coefficient for NTC sensors plus other minor changes coming from the beta tester

I have also tested extensively the auto tune with my test equipment and even if I’m not a fan of the auto tuning process it can help you to find an initial set up that maybe you can adjust by experience

Now working to the final version of the smart thermostat app adding the ramp/soak management for the fermentation chamber
I have also released the first official version of the android smartphone app on google play store, off course to use it you need the SmartPID controller (and the thingspeak account)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fred.com.smartpid

The beta testing phase has been completed and lot of feedback received, I have now extended the community with a limited offer to former Indiegogo backer but I’m ready to open the store to all of you with a limited stock of controller

It’s a matter of days, stay tuned !
Davide
Arzaman engineering

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 04:44:37 pm »
New major feature for the smartPID temperature controller !

I have implemented on top of the smart thermostat the temperature profile management, something similar to the step mash feature of the brewing app

You can define up to 10 different profiles made by set point, ramp time and soak time than the controller moves linearly the stet-point from one value to another in the defined time so you can control the ramp slope

the soak time calculation has two options

static: soak time starts immediately after the ramp end, regardless the current temperature has reached the new set point

dynamic: soak time starts when the temperature reach set point (like in step mash) and so you have a synchronous process

in this video more details on the profile configuration and execution

https://youtu.be/4EipLWRyb98

this will make the smart thermostat perfect for the fermentation chamber control in case you need to change slowly your set point

hope you like it, any comment appreciated !

Br
Davide

Offline arzaman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:49 am »
Long time since last post and lot of things happens !
Many homebrewers adopted SmartPID controller and I got lot of feedback that allow me to enhance and improve either HW and SW
Before summer break (at least in north hemisphere it’s summer time !) just few update on the project

Still working on the improvement of the overall quality of the engineering of smartPID and from next batch I'm happy to announce that the front panel has been replaced with a new one.
Not just a graphical and aesthetic review but a different solution. The tactile switch are now internal and on top of the panel a flexible membrane allow to press it.

This provide a very good feeling in operating in smartPID but more important good protection of the inside from splash or particles. Little details but improved in quality and reliability

Biggest news are SW side. As you may have seen the focus on the development now is on the BBQ controller application, with support of few professional pit master now the application is almost complete. Very powerful, feature reach and flexible...I will follow up on this topic and I will start a beta testing campaign after summer break ..stay tuned

The BBQ app give me the chance to talk about another big change in the SW architecture and evolution of SmartPID ecosystem.  You know that one of the SmartPID smartest feature is the capability to remote monitor and control your device and process. Currently the smartphone app is available for android only and is based on the public service provided by Thingspeak.

In the BBQ solution I have tested a new technology to implement the remote control and the results are really good and promising

The new technology is based on MQTT subscribe and notify protocol that is becoming a standard for the IoT connected devices and allow me to mange a private server where to develop advanced services
From technical perspective allow me to solve lot of the annoying things to make a device connected via WiFi home router like the dynamic IP address of firewall traversal.

From your end user perspective the initial set up user experience will be simplified, the new app will be very responsive and with possibility to implement also commands and actions.
And finally the technology allow me to implement either native android smartphone app but also web application that you can use in any browser….fixed or mobile..so including tablet or IOS devices.

Have a look to this video that is quite  explanatory!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTCkl64AQE

In autumn I will retrofit also the smartphone app for hombrewing and smart thermostat and finally implement what you request so many times:  full brew day and process remote controls (not only monitors) with full interactions and all the parameters remote control including recipe management

Finally I'm working to other two applications: a complete process controller for malting barley with a micro-malthouse and a spirit distiller controller. Still in a design and concept stage but progressing !

If you are interested there are really few smartPID pieces in the store still at the launch price, next stock available in August

Have a nice holiday and talk to you after summer break with other news and progress !