Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help on wiring a PID for RIMS  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Allen Brown

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing in Brownsburg, IN since 1998
    • UBuildIt
Re: Need help on wiring a PID for RIMS
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 01:42:50 pm »
No issue, but then it isn't a main power switch. To me main power would kill the entire panel.

Agreed. Consider moving hot connections down stream of the main and you can use the PID power switch to kill the PID when you dont want/need it on. unless you just want a redundant power switch for the PID, which is what you currently have. A big plus to having a main is it serves as a emergecy stop switch. no need to process what is going wrong and find the swich. Just hit the one and it all ceases.

Yeah, That's a really good point.  Much better to have a main PANIC button to shut everything down at once.

OK, changed again:

Allen

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
Looks ok to me, but I'm not an electrician. Be sure to power it on a GFI protected circuit. The GFI should protect the entire system, so place it as close to the source power as possible and not at the end of a long extension cord.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 08:55:52 pm »
It would work as drawn but your scraping in there amperage wise on the main switch which has me thinking about the whole box and what circuit it will be run on, but one thing at a time. the pump is 1.4 (right?)x2 for motor start is 2.8Amps plus the element at about 11.5 and your at 14.3 amps. So that is pretty close but you will most likely have this plugged into a standard 15Amp circuit, and if so you are protected. which I guess makes that concern less concerning. that being said, remember that the NEC has charts to determine wire size on amperage for good reason, a small wire on a 15 amp circuit will quickly burn up its insulation if tasked with carrying more amperage than it is rated for. 14 gauge is good for 15 amps though some of the wires on the 120V AC side can (theoretically) be smaller because they will be carrying small loads but go as big as you can. Also, I dont have a pin out for the SRR but 1 on the SRR is line in right???
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 12:57:07 am »
Not sure if these will help, but here goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline Allen Brown

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing in Brownsburg, IN since 1998
    • UBuildIt
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 10:42:00 am »
..... Also, I dont have a pin out for the SRR but 1 on the SRR is line in right???

It may be on some, but on mine it's 9 & 10:  http://auberins.com/images/Manual/SYL-2352_manual.pdf
Allen