Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP001 and 1056  (Read 2240 times)

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
WLP001 and 1056
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:47:59 am »
I know that these are supposed to be the same strain. I usually use the White Labs Chico strain and I can pour a clean beer, with gelatin finings, by the time it's done carbonating in the keg. Every time I for some reason or another use the Wyeast version, it takes a week or two to clear. Anyone find this to be true or am I crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: WLP001 and 1056
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:54:05 am »
Not for me. I use plenty of 1056 and it clears out quickly for me with gelatin, not too much longer without.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:36:24 am »
There were several discussions on the differences in the past. Our local yeast expert had said that when strains are banked, you can get different character from the same yeast, as there is a selection that goes on when the yeast are isolated. There are slight differences in 001, 1056, US-05, and even what Sierra Nevada is using today.

The Weihenstephaner W34/70 and W34/78 are different isolates of W34, and differ in their flocculation rate.
http://www.hefebank-weihenstephan.de/strains.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:53:12 am »
US-05 is less flocculant than 1056 IME and possibly peachier.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:06:05 am »
I know that these are supposed to be the same strain. I usually use the White Labs Chico strain and I can pour a clean beer, with gelatin finings, by the time it's done carbonating in the keg. Every time I for some reason or another use the Wyeast version, it takes a week or two to clear. Anyone find this to be true or am I crazy?

How about an experiment?  https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-yeast-comparison-same-strain-wyeast-1056-wlp001
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 01:09:07 pm »
As Jeff mentioned above, a pure yeast culture starts out as a single colony taken from a plate.  The colony is usually transferred to a slant to produce an isolate (W34/70 is the 70th isolate of culture number 34).

A pure yeast culture can drift genetically over time when repitched; however, not all cells within the culture drift at the same rate or even in the same way.  One of the most common genetic mutations to occur in yeast cultures is loss of flocculation.  It is the result of mutation within a yeast cell's mitochondrial DNA. 

The reason why the different yeast producers produce yeast strains with slightly different characteristics is due to isolation. As mentioned above, all pure yeast cultures start out as a single colony taken from a plate.  The first step in preparing a liquid culture for inclusion in a culture collection is to plate it for single colonies.  The colony selected for banking determines the characteristics of the culture that is grown.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:13:35 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:12:11 pm »

How about an experiment?  https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-yeast-comparison-same-strain-wyeast-1056-wlp001

Lol. I forgot about this one already. In my defense, it was like your first experiment. Thanks for the reminder.