Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My attempt at one of these NE IPA's  (Read 5921 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: My attempt at one of these NE IPA's
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 11:59:58 am »
I just returned from Yakima, where I drank some of the best IPA I've ever had.  Bale Break Top Cutter and Bottom Cutter.  Every bit of the hop flavor and aroma of the NE IPAs I've had, but none of the haze and grit.  To me it's proof that the beer doesn't have to be hazy to get huge hop flavor.
That's good to hear, and I agree with the idea that a highly hopped and highly aromatic IPA doesn't have to be turbid (or even hazy).

Not at all. Mine come out crystal clear and are every bit as hop-laden as commercial offerings.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Re: My attempt at one of these NE IPA's
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 06:24:51 am »
I cracked open a bottle of this earlier, with it having been bottled last weekend.  Carbonation is a little lacking, no doubt as it's only been in the bottle less than a week.  Taste and aroma wise, I really like it, it's a bit more bitter than I was aiming for, so I'd probably reduce the whirlpool time down to 20mins, but it's still a nice refreshing pint.  Looks wise, it's hazy, not exceptionally so, and less than it was when I took gravity samples.  Overall, I'm pleased with this beer, though I might split the dry hop addition into 2 additions next time, one towards the end of fermentation, and one a week later.  Will try and remember to take a pic to post next time I try one.
If you like the flavor but not the bitterness, reduce your 60 minute bittering addition.

A couple of weeks in, and having drunk a few more, I'm reassessing this.  The bitterness, whilst higher than I'd planned for, balances the beer really well.  The carbonation is now excellent, creating a rock solid marshmallowy head that stays in place to the bottom of the glass.  I might still mess about with the dry hop schedule, but I'm coming to the conclusion that this is the tastiest beer I've made (perhaps says something about my previous efforts), and I'll definitely be making this one regularly.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017