Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Running gas lines through fridge wall  (Read 13146 times)

Offline mlager

• Cellarman
    • CactiBrew
Running gas lines through fridge wall
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »
I've got an apartment size fridge that I've turned into a kegerator. I've got one tap on the front and usually just put one keg plus the co2 bottle inside the fridge. I want to add another tap, once I do, two kegs will not allow for the co2 bottle to fit in the fridge, which means I must run the gas lines throught he side....

Does anyone have any tips for doing this, how to drill it, any precautions to take, and the best way to seal it? I'll be needing to run two lines because my regulator is a dual port.

Any suggestions would be great!

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Running gas lines through fridge wall
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:04:47 am »
If you start with a tiny hole (large enough to poke a paper clip through) and go from the inside (through the plastic first) it will be obvious if you hit something other than plastic, like a cooling line.  After getting through the plastic, use a paper clip or something else small and pokey to probe through the insulation.  If all seems good, make the hole a bit larger and repeat the probing until the hole is large enough for your hose.

If you can find rubber grommets, use them to protect the hose from rubbing on the metal edge.  Otherwise, just fill with expanding foam or the putty that is used to seal around holes for wiring to go through an outside wall on your home.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 04:40:55 pm »
I have never tried it but I have suggested heating a large nail to red (careful it's hot!) and just push it
through the plastic inside the fridge. No drill bit to accidentaly puncture a fridge line and the preasure
you would need to get through the plastic with a hot nail would not be enough to puncture a line.
Once through fish around and look for a line and avoid. Then drill where clear.
Just a thought.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:59:38 pm »
I haven't done this myself but have heard of people pushing the tubing up through the drain. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:46:43 am »
If you drill through the side of your fridge you will have no problem because there are normally no cooling lines that run through the side, just foam.  If you drill the hole to the od of your hose I would gromment the metal side, and leave it be.  There really shouldn't be any need to re-foam your hole if you didn't go crazy overboard on the size of your hole.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline bissdp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:32:54 pm »
I just finished a kegerator build and ran a gas line through the back wall/ledge of the fridge. Starting with a small hole in the plastic (like riverrat said) was pretty much the way I went.

Just need to be careful of those coolant lines.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:59:29 pm »
If you drill through the side of your fridge you will have no problem because there are normally no cooling lines that run through the side, just foam.  If you drill the hole to the od of your hose I would gromment the metal side, and leave it be.  There really shouldn't be any need to re-foam your hole if you didn't go crazy overboard on the size of your hole.

I'd be careful with just drilling through the side.  My kegerator has a line running diagonally from the bottom back to the top front.  I found the diagram zip tied under the fridge in the front and it showed the line plain as day. I still went with a small hole on the inside & poked around before I got out the step bit. YMMV..
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!