Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vermont Ale Yeast - what styles?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Vermont Ale Yeast - what styles?
« on: October 11, 2016, 07:37:46 am »
I purchased a pitch of a locally produced "Vermont Ale" strain.  The information on the website for the company sounds very similar to The Yeast Bay's version of this strain.  Fruity, peachy esters that accentuate citrus hop character.

I made a pale ale with only citra hops and it's working away, it tastes pretty good from my hydrometer sample, definitely fruity but that could also be he high level of citra hops I added.

I would like to do another beer with this yeast but I don't want another APA.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on other styles I could try and also if you had any concerns if I was to attempt an English style with this yeast (knowing full well it won't actually have the English character).  I was going to use my bitter recipe (18 lbs MO, 2 lbs C90, 1 lb Pale Choc, FWH with EKG at 1 oz per 5 gals).  Do you see any reason that it won't be drinkable?  I have ordered more yeast but I have time this week to brew and it would be good to get another batch underway. 

Any other thoughts on styles that would be reasonable for this yeast besides APA/IPA?
Thanks.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Vermont Ale Yeast - what styles?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:24:42 am »
These are all variants on the Conan strain. There's no reason why it wouldn't work across a range of pale beers of either US or UK origin. Blonde ale, Am. wheat, ESB, bitter, mild, barleywine, etc.

You mention it "won't actually have the English character" but I guess that depends on what you think "the English character" is. There are a number of older English strains that exhibit a strong peach character like Conan. Most have dropped out of use for one reason or another but if one were to troll around the commercial yeast banks they can be found.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Vermont Ale Yeast - what styles?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:17:41 pm »
American Amber and I +1 the American Wheat beer
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)