Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichman beer gun or Last Straw  (Read 5539 times)

Offline sdevries42

• Cellarman
Blichman beer gun or Last Straw
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:03:12 pm »
I am looking to get a counter pressure bottle filler an am looking at the Blichman Beer Gun vs. Last Straw. Any suggestions?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Blichman beer gun or Last Straw
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »
I have a Blichmann. My main complaint is the little rubber piece on the end is not secure and has fallen off into bottles many times.

After watching the last straw video, I would purchase one of those over the Blichmann.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:49:01 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:52:09 pm »
Blichmann Beer Gun owner here - I'm very pleased with the quality and performance. Being able to purge bottles with CO2 before filling is obviously key to keeping oxidation at bay. There are a few brewers here with the Last Straw that seem fairly pleased with it, but in a pinch, it's hard to go wrong with Blichmann quality.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:07:50 pm »
Blichmann Beer Gun owner here - I'm very pleased with the quality and performance. Being able to purge bottles with CO2 before filling is obviously key to keeping oxidation at bay. There are a few brewers here with the Last Straw that seem fairly pleased with it, but in a pinch, it's hard to go wrong with Blichmann quality.

This ^^^^. And I have never had an issue with my rubber tip falling off.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:10:58 pm »
My rubber tip started falling off regularly, until I heard somewhere that super glue does the trick in keeping it in place. It works.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:46:30 pm »
Of the two, I've only used the beergun, but I do have to say I find the hybrid style of the last straw is appealing.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:49:41 pm »
My rubber tip started falling off regularly, until I heard somewhere that super glue does the trick in keeping it in place. It works.

I think I glued my on as well but don't bottle often very often so I can't remember. My results are less than desirable when bottling which is obviously user error...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:47:38 pm »
I have the Last Straw and really like it (haven't tried the Blichmann gun). It produced a gold-medal winning bottled beer, so it definitely works. The Last Straw is not a counter pressure filler, but it bottles very cleanly. Just make sure you chill the bottles and set your keg psi to 3-5ish. My only gripe with it is that it comes with approximately 14 miles of tubing, which is easy to get tangled in.