Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh figs  (Read 2240 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
Fresh figs
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:08:03 pm »
Exactly what flavor do fresh figs add to a brew. I've used them in spiced holiday ales and perhaps can't pinpoint a specific flavor because of the spice. If added to an American ale for example what character would they add.
Thanks

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Fresh figs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:09:53 am »
Almost no character would be added unless you used a ton of them.  Their flavor is subtle (light berry maybe) plus a "green" plant character from the outer skin.  I don't think fresh figs are the best way to get "fig" into a beer - dried are probably a better choice to avoid the plant character and get the most from their subtle character.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:28:16 am »
Almost no character would be added unless you used a ton of them.  Their flavor is subtle (light berry maybe) plus a "green" plant character from the outer skin.  I don't think fresh figs are the best way to get "fig" into a beer - dried are probably a better choice to avoid the plant character and get the most from their subtle character.
Yes, dried figs give what would be expected as fig character in a holiday ale, quad, etc.
That being said if you have a real lot of fresh figs you might be able to coax a subtle flavor out of them. I would cut off the skin and pith and just add the reddish flesh and lots of it after primary is about finished. It might compliment a citrusy pale ale. I would only bother if I had a ton of free fresh figs.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:39:17 pm »
Before use, I caramelize them on a very high heat and deglaze with beer from primary.  Then add them to the secondary fermenter.  No green taste from the skin.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 01:59:11 pm »
I would think they add a fig flavor...

Dark sugar, particularly if carmelized.  Maybe not so much of a specific fruit flavor.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 02:55:07 pm »
They don't have a lot of flavor fresh.  Taste better when dried.  They'll add sugar and that's about it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 02:10:32 am »
In all honesty, you'll probably get way more "fig" flavor from Special B, C-120 or D-180 than from fresh figs.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 03:23:34 am »
In all honesty, you'll probably get way more "fig" flavor from Special B, C-120 or D-180 than from fresh figs.

Yep.  Got some Special B & 120L too.  Thanks everyone!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 07:22:03 am »

When you say 120L are you referring to crystal malt? Just saying that because Eric was referring to c-120 syrup.
I think this is a one or the other as opposed to both situation. Either fresh figs in a light beer for a subtle fresh fig flavor (knowing it will take a lot to get a little) or the special b/candi syrup for a dried fig flavor which would overwhelm any fresh fig, usually good in a higher gravity beer. At least that's how I see it.

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 06:03:01 am »

When you say 120L are you referring to crystal malt? Just saying that because Eric was referring to c-120 syrup.
I think this is a one or the other as opposed to both situation. Either fresh figs in a light beer for a subtle fresh fig flavor (knowing it will take a lot to get a little) or the special b/candi syrup for a dried fig flavor which would overwhelm any fresh fig, usually good in a higher gravity beer. At least that's how I see it.
I was actually referring to 120L Crystal malt. The D-180 was the candi syrup I was referring to. The overall character is different, but the dark candi syrups and extra dark crystal malts both give me dark, dried fruit (i.e., fig/date/raisin).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 06:10:39 am »

Doh. I misread and kind of wondered about 120 syrup.
Same point though, I think anything that adds a dried fig note will negate any flavor from the fresh figs.
I was actually referring to 120L Crystal malt. The D-180 was the candi syrup I was referring to. The overall character is different, but the dark candi syrups and extra dark crystal malts both give me dark, dried fruit (i.e., fig/date/raisin).

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 01:47:45 pm »

Doh. I misread and kind of wondered about 120 syrup.
Same point though, I think anything that adds a dried fig note will negate any flavor from the fresh figs.

I was referring to 120 crystal.  As far as the syrup goes, I have made my own and used it in a Rochefort 8 clone.  That added some really nice character.