Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY 1728 Scottish Ale ferment temps  (Read 1780 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
WY 1728 Scottish Ale ferment temps
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:39:03 pm »
Hey crew!

I know a lot of you have used this yeast quite a bit, and was curious what fermentation temps you prefer for brewing a typical Scottish heavy export (80 schilling)?

I am fairly aware that at warmer temps (70F's) it can through off some smokey phenolics which I do NOT want in my beer.

Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: WY 1728 Scottish Ale ferment temps
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:13:45 pm »
Hey crew!

I know a lot of you have used this yeast quite a bit, and was curious what fermentation temps you prefer for brewing a typical Scottish heavy export (80 schilling)?

I am fairly aware that at warmer temps (70F's) it can through off some smokey phenolics which I do NOT want in my beer.

Thanks!

It's really clean @ 58-60F-ish. You'll be happy there. I never found the 'smoky' thing but I never fermented it too warm either. 
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:23:50 pm »
Hey crew!

Thanks!

It's really clean @ 58-60F-ish. You'll be happy there. I never found the 'smoky' thing but I never fermented it too warm either.

Same here, good results around 60. If any warmer, I've only experienced a little fruitiness, never smokiness.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:26:24 pm »
I read on this forum that 1728 will throw the smoky ester when it is stressed by cold temps, not by warm ones.  For that reason I fermented with it at 57 degrees.  I think I got a bit of the smoke, but nothing that I would really notice if I wasn't looking for it.  The beer was nice and clean as always.  Great yeast!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 06:02:33 am »
Great replies. Thanks for the tips. I will pitch at 60F, hold there for a couple days, then bump to 62F to keep the yeast happy. Thanks again!  Love this place.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:27:59 am »
I run it at 55F with great results.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »
Yeah, I will definitely keep it cool for this one.  8)