Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American double ale  (Read 2129 times)

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
American double ale
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:34:17 pm »
I recently visited a local brewery and noticed this original new style "American double pale ale". After not really agreeing with the bartenders explanation, I turned to my buddy and said "so basically it's an IPA".   Has anyone seen this so called new style before? Is it an American strong ale?  Maybe I'm being too critical, maybe they didn't want to have 8 of their 10 beers listed as some form of IPA? I don't want to be a hater, but also don't want my non brewing friends to be fooled by gimmicks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:37:22 pm by juggabrew303 »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: American double ale
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 02:42:30 pm »
What was the description?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:46:17 pm »
Did you taste it?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:51:05 am »
I don't think this is new so much as it is among the several amorphous names used around American strong ales that don't carry a specific meaning. For some breweries it's what they call one DIPA to not have two DIPAs on the menu. For some it's an American barleywine. For others it's thrown on an unspecific stronger pale beer that doesn't fit neatly into any other category.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:33:55 am »
What was the description?

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 02:41:38 am »
Did you taste it?
I went back last night and had two.  It's actually pretty good, and IMO is an IPA/DIPA.  I didn't ask any further questions about it but maybe they're just sick of seeing every beer listed as Some form of IPA.  I'll probably end up getting it again when I go back next week. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:54:02 am »
Did you taste it?
I went back last night and had two.  It's actually pretty good, and IMO is an IPA/DIPA.  I didn't ask any further questions about it but maybe they're just sick of seeing every beer listed as Some form of IPA.  I'll probably end up getting it again when I go back next week. 

I assume they are designating this way simply because it is a stronger version of their pale ale which I assume is done by Diebolt?

Similarly, I have brewed a 'double kolsch' that tastes pretty much like a maibock. I could probably just call it a maibock because wtf is a double kolsch?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:43:32 am by goschman »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 04:21:30 pm »
As far as I understand it, American Strong Ale is a pretty broad category open to lots of interpretations. They should have a fairly prominent malt component (not as malty as a true AM barleywine) and a moderate to high amounts of hop bitterness/hop flavor (not as much as a DIPA though). Color also can vary from light to fairly dark. Great Lakes Brew Co makes a darn tasty version they call Nosferatu which comes out late fall (IIRC). Arrogant Bastard is also another delicious one as well (especially when fresh with all the chinook hopping).

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 07:20:19 pm »
I have an extra double pale ale lined up to brew this weekend.

But realistically... if this is a real thing, I would think it'd be closer to a strong ale or Midwest/east coast style IPA. Something with more of a backbone of malt than a west coast and probably less bitterness than a true IPA.

I'm all for hybrids or new breeds as long as they differentiate than what's already available. You can't call it a double pale ale if it's simply an IPA.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »

I'm all for hybrids or new breeds as long as they differentiate than what's already available. You can't call it a double pale ale if it's simply an IPA.

Yeah, I agree. Big APA shouldn't = IPA. I'm not a huge DFH fan, but they had an imperial APA out a few years back, and at least it was a big version of an APA - same hop/malt balance. Of course today you could call that an American Strong Ale, too.
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 02:49:27 am »
Did you taste it?

I assume they are designating this way simply because it is a stronger version of their pale ale which I assume is done by Diebolt?

Similarly, I have brewed a 'double kolsch' that tastes pretty much like a maibock. I could probably just call it a maibock because wtf is a double kolsch?
You're correct on your assumption.  If you happen to stop in there one day let me know your thoughts.  That's funny you say 'double kolsch', the kölsch I entered for DCF was just over 6% which is out of range per BJCP.   

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 08:31:35 am »
Did you taste it?

You're correct on your assumption.  If you happen to stop in there one day let me know your thoughts.  That's funny you say 'double kolsch', the kölsch I entered for DCF was just over 6% which is out of range per BJCP.   

Mine is 7.5% and needs some lagering.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 09:58:24 am »

Whatever you want it to be?  :)
Heck, you might even create a new style.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women