Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick turn around on Bavarian Weis  (Read 1369 times)

Offline roysbrew1

• 1st Kit
Quick turn around on Bavarian Weis
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:17:37 pm »
A friend asked me about brewing a 5 gallon batch and kegging it for a November 5 pig roast.  That is 23 days from now.  I was figuring 2 weeks  fermentation and whatever time is left cold crashing in the keg, roughly 5-7 days by the time I get to brew it.  Is that a reasonable turn around for a Bavarian Weiss or am I pushing it?  I am planning on using an all extract recipe and wyeast.  Any thoughts?  What would you think would be the shortest turn around time assuming the keg will need to sit a day or two after I force carbonate it?

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Quick turn around on Bavarian Weis
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:11 pm »
Not a problem, especially since you keg.
I wouldn't cold crash it, either.  Clarity is a non issue for this style.
Go for it.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:02:01 am »
+1  Shortest turn?  I think I once kegged a hefe after 7 days.  One of the very few styles where this can actually benefit the beer.     
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 08:56:46 am »
No problem with this at all.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline roysbrew1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »
I appreciate the comments.  I suspected that time frame would be fine for this style.

Are there any other styles that that could be brewed and ready to drink in 2 weeks?

I try not to I drink many of mine while they are still a little "green",  I cry when they hit their prime after that 4 or 5 weeks,  I always wish I had more patience.   

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 02:35:51 pm »
I will get flack but I think any typical stuff can be pulled off in 2 weeks.  Personally,  I think an american style wheat (clean yeast/late c type hop) would probably be more accepted over hefe.  If it's still nice and warm where you're at that's what I'd do if you're aiming to please most.  That said, hog roast screams something bold like PA to cut through the smoke.  Be sure your buddy has Zima for the lightweights tho.   ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 03:30:32 pm »
If you are thinking of keeping it on the light side, a British ale such as a bitter, golden ale or similar would likely be ready in time and be an easy drinker, too.  The golden ale would benefit from a short crash or gelatin.  Really, a whole bunch of lighter ales could fit this fermentation schedule profile.

Cheers and Good luck!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"