Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: commercial examples of Maibock/Helles Bock  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: commercial examples of Maibock/Helles Bock
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 03:56:02 pm »
Note that I was not saying it was great, just that if the poster liked it, then great.  To each his own, but as an ale attempting to be like a Maibock, it is often cited.  I haven't had a Rogue beer in a long time, so I couldn't compare it from memory.

I understood what you were getting at. They refer to is as a Maibock inspired beer and use their pacman ale yeast.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 05:11:17 pm »
Note that I was not saying it was great, just that if the poster liked it, then great.  To each his own, but as an ale attempting to be like a Maibock, it is often cited.  I haven't had a Rogue beer in a long time, so I couldn't compare it from memory.

IMO, it's not even a good version of an ale pretending to be a maibock.  Now, if you like the beer, that's great...but like it what it is, not what it's not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 07:26:42 pm »

IMO, it's not even a good version of an ale pretending to be a maibock.  Now, if you like the beer, that's great...but like it what it is, not what it's not.

I agree with that, for sure.  Just like some beers just don't fit a recognized style, but are enjoyed by some beer drinkers regardless.  I make a cross between a mild and a bitter that I don't enter in contests, but I and many others really enjoy.  It just doesn't fit either style....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 08:36:47 pm »

I agree with that, for sure.  Just like some beers just don't fit a recognized style, but are enjoyed by some beer drinkers regardless.  I make a cross between a mild and a bitter that I don't enter in contests, but I and many others really enjoy.  It just doesn't fit either style....

That's about half of my beers
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 09:22:39 am »
Dead Guy reminds me of that one Maibock I had. I'm sure if I tried the two back to back I'd agree they're nothing alike. But for whatever reason, whenever I drink Dead Guy I'm reminded of a nice spring day where I enjoyed one of the best beers I've ever had.

FWIW, I've never had any luck with Dead Guy in bottles, for whatever reason those growlers always taste the best.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.