Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bbq Ribs  (Read 1928 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Bbq Ribs
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:48:29 am »
I am a novice and for all things food ribs on charcoal with Apple wood and hickory smoke, which is my be all end all favorite rib smoke.  So I worked in the food industry for 10 years as a general manager, and if you put me in front of a flame I will cook.  But bbq low and slow chill with a beer is all new to me.  So here is where I stand right now.... and I need a little help from enthusiastic bbq-ers

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:15:51 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bab Ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:54:35 am »
Beef ribs rubbed down with mustard then coated with my seasoning.

That's anchos, arbol, chipotles, birds eye, paprika (smoked), cumin (smoked), garlic (roasted), oregano, marjoram, basil, onion (minced), whole grain mustard seeds, dark brown sugar(*edit I forgot) salt and pepper

Apple wood and hickory chips soaking in bells best brown, cider, and Apple cider vinegar

Squirt bottle of Apple cider vinegar, water, cider, and bells best brown

Charcoal on 1 side and I put chips on when coals are ready?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:00:15 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bbq Ribs
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:01:03 pm »
so a question to the enthusiasts, do I put the chips on in the beginning and let them smoke out or do I add them slowly and let them keep my heat going?

AHA Member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 12:11:58 pm »
I use chunks.  The chips are likely to flame up, even though they're soaked.  You might put them in a pan of some sort, so they're not on the coals directly.  I think they make smoke boxes for gas grills, which is basically a box you put chips in.

Also, your coals look too hot.  I put in a batch of coals and add four or five lit ones on one side and let it burn slowly across.  You'll have a hard time maintaining low heat with that many hot coals.

Put a pan of water or beer in the middle.

Other than that, your ribs looks solid.  You have everything you need from the looks of it.

I use a Weber and I bought coal baskets for the side.  I really only use one, though I bought two.  They hold enough coals for about two hours at 250 on my rig.  Then I need to add more.  Ribs get about 4 - 6 hours and they're perfect.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 12:31:39 pm »
I took your advice.  they chips are in a pan above the coals with some beer in them.  If I don't get any smoke rolling here in about 20-30 mins I will add a little to the coals once they have chilled out.  Sound good or bad?

AHA Member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 12:40:58 pm »
I think the pan will have to get super hot for them to actually catch fire and smoke.  Maybe put them in some foil, poke holes in it, and toss that on the coals.  It will keep them from flaming up, but will let the smoke out.

Or check out the Brethern: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86546

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 12:57:22 pm »
well I threw a bit down on the coals and let them smoke up and die down a bit before I put the ribs down.  I put a pan of beer/cider/vinegar on, and I put the rest of the chips in a pan next to them and I may, depending on the level of low and slow smoke may add more if need be to the coals

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:58:58 pm by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 01:11:40 pm »
I'm sure they'll turn out good.  I'd get those pans down by the heat, but that's me.

And I'd put some shoes on...

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:13:12 pm »
hahaha good catch...

I may want to get in touch with my hillbilly roots with this though and keep it bare foot and have a baby playing in the yard with just a diaper on...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:14:44 pm by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member