Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Organizing Brewing Equipment  (Read 2875 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Organizing Brewing Equipment
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:04:00 am »
Morning,

As I have gotten more and more equipment for my home brewing I have moved from the kitchen to the garage. In doing this my garage has become extremely cluttered with keggles, buckets, secondaries, keezers, tubes, etc all over the place.

I was wondering if anyone has some good tips, guides, tutorials, or informative sites about organizing a garage home brew setup? I am just looking to get as much stuff off the floor and utilize the space in my garage more effectively.

Thanks.
-Donde

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Organizing Brewing Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:18:14 am »
Shelves, lots of shelves. Adjustable options are good as you work to find what works best for you.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:26:54 am »
Shelves on wheels.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:46 am »
I brew in my garage. But, I store my equipment in my basement. I have 2 portables shelves and a pallet. I usually move what I need to the garage the night before. Hope this helps.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:53 pm »
I use a rolling cart for the brewing day equipment. And a shelf for the rest. Tubs etc.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:23:38 pm »
Thanks for the tips thus far.

I don't have a basement so everything stays in the garage. I guess to need to look into some shelves :D

Also I like the rolling cart idea just to be able to move stuff around.
-Donde

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:35:53 pm »
Thanks for the tips thus far.

I don't have a basement so everything stays in the garage. I guess to need to look into some shelves :D

Also I like the rolling cart idea just to be able to move stuff around.

About one year ago I finally bit the bullet and purchases some nice stainless steel wire racks (like in a fancy commercial kitchen). Couldn't be happier as I am in the same garage boat as you. I also hang my tubing on nails on the walls so it can properly drain and dry.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 01:32:56 pm »
All my equipment is in the basement but I have a walkout so the move out on brew day is pretty easy.

I have Gorilla shelves and they can't be beat for strength and stability.  They are not mobile though.  When you put them in place, they don't move.

I use plastic storage containers with lids to keep the dust under control.  All the little parts that fit are in a closed box. 

I'm still trying to figure out grain storage.  If I was in a garage I would definitely be using air tight containers to keep the furry critters our of it.

I also built a keg cabinet on an inside, underground wall that stays a constant temp.  Probably not an option with no basement.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:51 pm »
All my equipment is in the basement but I have a walkout so the move out on brew day is pretty easy.

I have Gorilla shelves and they can't be beat for strength and stability.  They are not mobile though.  When you put them in place, they don't move.

I use plastic storage containers with lids to keep the dust under control.  All the little parts that fit are in a closed box. 

I'm still trying to figure out grain storage.  If I was in a garage I would definitely be using air tight containers to keep the furry critters our of it.

I also built a keg cabinet on an inside, underground wall that stays a constant temp.  Probably not an option with no basement.

Paul

Wow super jealous from the sounds of your basement setup.  ;D

Currently grain storage is not an issue since I keep what few I have in our kitchen pantry. Just looking to get keggles, jugs, buckets, hoses, and everything out of the way when not brewing.
-Donde

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:15:49 pm »
I have stuff everywhere in my basement. It's a bit out of control. Kegs and fermenters are scattered about. Most smaller things are in boxes and on shelves. I keep bottle caps and other items of that size are in old cigar boxes with labels. Washers or kegs and other spare parts are in a tool box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 04:36:18 pm »
I hang lots of stuff.  My stuff is in the basement, and I don't move outside to brew so things don't have to be mobile, and I have the brewing stuff on shelves or hooks beside the brewstand.  The carboys and stuff are on shelves and then there are a couple boxes of random stuff which sit on a shelf but are really just the minimum mess I seem to be able to make. 

The kegerator is next to the shelving with another pegboard and a shelf above that to hang all the kegging/dispensing/bottling doodads on.  And a paper towel holder, probably the #1 addition to that area.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 09:13:53 pm »
I use those standard adjustable wire shelves. I store grains in 60 lb Vittles Vaults:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002H3S5U/ref=twister_B00BXX62V4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Basically the bottom shelf holds three of those up off the floor, so I can easily vacuum up spills. Then I've got tubs of parts/minerals/etc on the next shelf up. Kettles and my cooler go on the top shelf.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.