Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Did NB sell out?  (Read 12820 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Did NB sell out?
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2016, 09:04:16 pm »
I know the folks at MW and NB quite well...I have spoken with them about this and all are very excited for new things to come. That's all I got.

Also excited for the profit and loss of risk.  I would be too.
Brian
mobrewer

narvin

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2016, 09:06:49 pm »
I don't have much to add and normally I would avoid a post like this like the plague. But I saw some posts about bitburger. I love bitburger!

Thumbs up to this!  I'm certainly not saying that large brewers have to make bad beer.  We've just seen too many examples where they do after buyouts
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:09:13 pm by narvin »

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:35 pm »
I like my fresh brewed local and regional craft pilsners. From the sound of it I need to try Becks.  I haven't had it since 1998 when it was a horrible skunky import
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2016, 09:08:11 pm »
I just have one more thing to add...if InBev changes it's attitude towards craft beer, I'll go back to buying their products. I don't hold them buying out companies I like against them, I just take their treatment of us as a reason to not like them. Maybe them buying NB is a sign that they're realizing that alienating the beer geeks isn't good for business.

And the last time I had Beck's, it was bland. Maybe it was old. Definitely other InBev beers that I'd buy first. (Shock top, anyone?)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2016, 09:15:43 pm »
I just have one more thing to add...if InBev changes it's attitude towards craft beer, I'll go back to buying their products. I don't hold them buying out companies I like against them, I just take their treatment of us as a reason to not like them. Maybe them buying NB is a sign that they're realizing that alienating the beer geeks isn't good for business.

And the last time I had Beck's, it was bland. Maybe it was old. Definitely other InBev beers that I'd buy first. (Shock top, anyone?)
I still like Spaten if I have to chose an ABInbev beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2016, 09:23:06 pm »
Do those that are anti AB also avoid Walmart, Target, Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Total Wine, Specs, BevMo? All of those can be considered anti competition.

I do my best to avoid those stores, but sometimes there aren't very many choices. If you live in a smaller town it can hard to shop local for things like clothes or hardware. Hardware stores and department stores have just closed in the past decade or so. I also avoid AB-inbev products, although it can be hard to keep up with which breweries have been bought out.

On the other hand, Northern Brewer is an online store - not unlike Amazon. There are a bunch of online homebrew stores that are comparable to NB in selection and price that are independently owned. I'd prefer to use them.

Finally I'll say that I'm not an absolutist. Sometimes I will use a big box store or an online store even though a local store might carry a similar product at a similar price. My plan is just to try to do a little bit better about helping out the people who have an interest in keeping the money that I spend within community that I live.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2016, 10:01:35 pm »
To answer the question- yes they sold out.  Is that a bad thing?  The owners of Northern Brewer likely worked many years putting a lot of time and effort into building the company and probably made many personal sacrifices along the way. At the same time they were involved in the hombrewing scene and supported The Brewing Network.  Is it a bad thing they reap the benefits of this and get a nice retirement or put their children or grandchildren into college?  BTW this coming from a huge liberal Bernie supporter.  Not everything big business is automatically bad.  Some people have a passion and a dream that ends up being profitable.  I still hate the main line of AB-INBEV beer.  Bland. 
Brian
mobrewer

narvin

« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2016, 11:46:56 pm »
I don't know why it always comes down to the "family" argument. I'm sure they could have paid for college easily before the buyout. What does an extra few mil buy, other than spoiled kids.

If you're a Bernie supporter I think you might want to listen to him some more.  Love it or loathe it, this is big business in America right here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:51:32 pm by narvin »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2016, 11:54:40 pm »
The original owners had sold out 4+ years ago, at least partially (maybe fully I don't know), to a private equity firm. Private equity firms don't care to hold on to stuff. They have one of two goals, sell or go public. Looks like they sold. So the "they put hard work in and god bless them for getting paid" argument doesn't apply here unless NB OGs held a significant share.

narvin

« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2016, 12:00:01 am »
The original owners had sold out 4+ years ago, at least partially (maybe fully I don't know), to a private equity firm. Private equity firms don't care to hold on to stuff. They have one of two goals, sell or go public. Looks like they sold. So the "they put hard work in and god bless them for getting paid" argument doesn't apply here unless NB OGs held a significant share.

Well, the argument applied 4 years ago.  Although, you could argue that they sold too soon.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2016, 07:48:31 am »
After my credit card was hacked at Midwest after the merger with NB, I have used them only for certain products that they offer - grudgingly. Most of my purchases are from AiH, my LHBS. I have done some orders from More Beer and Williams.

This was on Brülosophy, it difines Disruptive Growth. I may have to look at Love2brew for some purchases in the future.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/10/20/the-industry-speaks-a-homebrew-shop-owners-thoughts-on-the-acquisition-of-northern-brewer-by-ab-inbev/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2016, 08:07:11 am »
Do those that are anti AB also avoid Walmart, Target, Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Total Wine, Specs, BevMo? All of those can be considered anti competition.

I don't avoid any of those businesses. The NB acquisition was personal.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2016, 10:42:23 am »
I'm surprised no one has stated the obvious yet: Who cares?

This obsession people have to rail against macro brewing is monotonous and boring.

I think you're missing the pint many people have.  It's not a "purist" thing.  Personally I couldn't care less what what people drink or who makes it.  The real issue is control of the distribution chain, which is the problem that has started surfacing with AB buying up breweries.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:55 am »
I think you're missing the pint many people have.  It's not a "purist" thing.  Personally I couldn't care less what what people drink or who makes it.  The real issue is control of the distribution chain, which is the problem that has started surfacing with AB buying up breweries.

Yeah, that's exactly my concern.
Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2016, 11:10:16 am »

HA...should we coin the phrase "Papazian-Slip" for this one :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------