Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Turbulent flow out of one tap, not the other  (Read 1319 times)

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
Turbulent flow out of one tap, not the other
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:20:25 pm »
I've had a 2 tap tower for God knows how long-- 10 years?  and in the past 4 months or so my left tap pours very turbulently... almost like the beer is spinning out as it comes out the faucet.

Both kegs are in a 42F fridge.  I have gone through different kegs including a clean keg with just water-- same result.  Different levels of pressure, from 3 PSI all the way up to 20 PSI.  Ball lock disconnect to 8-10' of 3/16" tubing.  Up to a 12" tower, 90 degree shank, and out through old Perlick 425SS faucets.

I've replaced the disconnect-- I thought this was it, because the old disconnect had a mashed up washer.  Not the fix.  Again, the right tap works like a charm. 

If I turn the faucet off and back on sometimes I can get it to pour more normally.   Is there something inside these perlicks that can get cockeyed and cause turbulent flow? 

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Re: Turbulent flow out of one tap, not the other
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:13:57 am »
I'd take the faucet apart, clean and inspect. Quite a few O-Rings inside.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Turbulent flow out of one tap, not the other
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:47:53 am »
you seem to be onto something.  The main gasket that seats the faucet against the shank assembly/coupling nut looked to be a little comprimised.  Not quite straight and somewhat compressed.   I've reseated it, and it's better but not perfect... ordering a new one.  Thanks for the help!