Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?  (Read 13223 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2016, 06:41:00 am »
I had a pale ale the other day from a brewery I rather admire that I could not finish the other day and the reason was because it was brewed with a heavy amount of dark caramel malts and it clashed with the hops for my pallet. I'm sure there are folks out there that love that flavor in a beer but I can't stand it. So for me, Crystal 60 does not belong in a pale ale, IPA or IIPA but your mileage will vary depending on your preference.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2016, 07:34:42 am »
I had a pale ale the other day from a brewery I rather admire that I could not finish the other day and the reason was because it was brewed with a heavy amount of dark caramel malts and it clashed with the hops for my pallet. I'm sure there are folks out there that love that flavor in a beer but I can't stand it. So for me, Crystal 60 does not belong in a pale ale, IPA or IIPA but your mileage will vary depending on your preference.

With the exception of Celebration Ale which is well done, I agree. I much prefer C40, and not a lot of it, for most APAs and AIPAs.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2016, 10:04:57 am »
That's a much more limited perspective than "never ever use it" however.

I don't think there's any single ingredient that "never use" really applies to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2016, 10:25:24 am »

This^^^^^.  There may be ingredients YOU don't ;like or want to use, but that doesn't mean it's bad for others to use them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2016, 11:25:33 am »

This^^^^^.  There may be ingredients YOU don't ;like or want to use, but that doesn't mean it's bad for others to use them.

Agree. That's what I've been trying to say.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2016, 11:27:43 am »
For those who want to try something kinda like crystal but not exactly, check out the Great Western Sacchra malts.  I've been working with Sacchra 50 and I really like it.  Kind of a cross between crystal and Vienna.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2016, 08:15:06 pm »
For those who want to try something kinda like crystal but not exactly, check out the Great Western Sacchra malts.  I've been working with Sacchra 50 and I really like it.  Kind of a cross between crystal and Vienna.
Denny do you know if this malt is already available on any online homebrew shop?

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2016, 07:08:55 am »
Denny do you know if this malt is already available on any online homebrew shop?

Not Denny, but a google search found this:
https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/en/new-from-great-western-malting

http://barleyhaven.com/brewers-malt-grain/greatwestern-malting.html?dir=desc&limit=25&mode=list&order=name

https://homebrewsupplies.ca/category/specialty-malts-1/4/  (Note: this is a Canadian shop)

Ralph R.