Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OG of unfermented cider  (Read 5250 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
OG of unfermented cider
« on: October 15, 2016, 11:37:52 am »
Do you take the OG of cider the same way you do beer?  I just got back from picking up my unfermented cider from the local orchard and one of the guys there insisted you have to take you cider reading with a grain of salt.  He said all the excess fiber and pectin in the cider can keep you form getting an accurate gravity reading.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: OG of unfermented cider
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 12:16:24 pm »
Apple juice is generally around 45 ppg.  That can vary a bit depending on weather and variety of apple.

And I don't think the guy knew what he was talking about.  That shouldn't affect it any more than trub affects a hydrometer reading.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 05:57:24 pm »
Fiber and pectin and all that doesn't affect the reading at all.  I agree with Denny.  I just juiced a few of my own apples yesterday and also bought juice from two different places.  1.2 gallons of each times 3 = 3.6 gallons total.  Gravities were 1.042, 1.045, and 1.047, for an average of 1.045.  This is very normal.  When gravity hits about 1.010 then I will add gelatin, rack, and keep cold for unadulterated naturally sweet enjoyment.

Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 10:39:58 am »
The couple of times that I've brewed cider I've used mostly store bought juice and the O G has been 1.050 both times.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women