Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mash pH vs continued sample pH  (Read 1676 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
mash pH vs continued sample pH
« on: October 16, 2016, 07:42:31 am »
Took a mash pH reading after 15 minutes into the mash today and left the sample out for the remainder of the 60 minute mash just to see what the final reading would be.

Does anyone know if the sample reading pH correlates closely with the actual mash pH going on inside the mash tun as the mash continues to completion?  For example, if my sample reading increases from 5.25 to 5.3 at the end of the mash, can I assume the same (or closely the same) is going on inside of the actual mash or is it a different beast all together because of the grains?

Offline brewinhard

Re: mash pH vs continued sample pH
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 05:27:59 pm »
bump.....no thoughts anyone?

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:58:34 pm »
I have wondered the same. Does removing your sample from the rest of the grains change what is happening?  I am interested as well...

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:29:58 am »
I'm not sure it would be the same as the sample you pulled at the start isn't an exact replica of what's in your tun during the entire mash.     I'd say next time you brew, pull a sample at the start, test it, and keep it.   Pull additional samples during the mash and compare the 2 samples and you'll have you're answer.   Heck,  maybe I'll do this myself the next time I brew...
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:10:54 am »
If I remember, I'll do this Saturday.  I take a ph reading at 15 minutes and at the end of the mash.  I'll keep the 15 minute sample instead of throwing away
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 04:04:10 pm »
If I remember, I'll do this Saturday.  I take a ph reading at 15 minutes and at the end of the mash.  I'll keep the 15 minute sample instead of throwing away

Curious if you have any data on this for me?  If not, I will perform this task next time I brew coming up soon. Wee Heavy on Halloween.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 04:25:56 pm »

Curious if you have any data on this for me?  If not, I will perform this task next time I brew coming up soon. Wee Heavy on Halloween.

I checked my 15 minute mash again after the mash was complete and the reading was the same.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny