Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Struggling with formula for converting a recipe  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Struggling with formula for converting a recipe
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:37:44 am »
On previous brewing, I calculated my mash efficiency to be 75%.

I wish to work with a recipe BYO magazine that lists Extract Efficiency at 65% under the recipe standardization headline. 

What is the easiest way to do this calculation?

If the recipe begins with:

8.5 lbs pale ale malt
9 oz. roasted barley

What should my values be for those, and how would I derive them?

Could it be as simple as dividing the 65 by 75 and multiplying the result times each of the fermentible ingredients?

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:48:15 am by Lazy Ant Brewing »
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Struggling with formula for converting a recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:52:00 am »
I typically adjust the base grains only, but yes your formula works.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:16:31 pm »
I plug in a recipe exactly as it is written. If the brew house efficency is 65%, I leave it alone.
 If not, I take note of the grain percentages in the original recipe, change the brewhouse efficiency in Brewers Friend, then adjust the grain bill to match the original percentages. Problem solved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:01:56 am »
That doesn't always work. Let's say you have a recipe written for 75% efficiency. 9lb 2-row and 1lb c40. Convert that to 50% efficiency and you will end up with 1.5lb crystal malt and a much darker beer. Converting isn't always perfectly linear.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:33:10 am »
If I had to convert to 50% efficiency (because that's what my process gives me), the first thing I would do is take a look at my process, not grain percentages.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:30:24 am »
If I had to convert to 50% efficiency (because that's what my process gives me), the first thing I would do is take a look at my process, not grain percentages.

That's cool, just calling out that it doesn't always work using scenarios with simple math.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:42:29 am »
That doesn't always work. Let's say you have a recipe written for 75% efficiency. 9lb 2-row and 1lb c40. Convert that to 50% efficiency and you will end up with 1.5lb crystal malt and a much darker beer. Converting isn't always perfectly linear.

Wouldn't the increase in pale malt balance out the color increase from the crystal?

ETA:  Just ran your example through Promash.  Decreasing the efficiency from 75% to 50% the color remained the same.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:45:09 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

Struggling with formula for converting a recipe
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:19 am »
Did you also increase the grain by 50% to compensate?

Per Beersmith.

90/10 at 1.055 75% efficiency (10lbs total) is 8 SRM. 90/10 at 1.055 50% efficiency (15lbs total grain) 10.6 SRM

The above example is a simple example to show there is a difference. The difference is noticeable with darker malts at relatively small variances. Not to mention the flavor differences caused by larger amounts of specialty malts.

90/7/3 - 2row/40/500 patent - 75% efficiency = 18.5. 70% = 19.4. 60% = 21.5

One can do whatever works, just should understand that it isn't a perfect linear scale.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:16:39 am by Stevie »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:34:03 am »
Did you also increase the grain by 50% to compensate?

Per Beersmith.

90/10 at 1.055 75% efficiency (10lbs total) is 8 SRM. 90/10 at 1.055 50% efficiency (15lbs total grain) 10.6 SRM

The above example is a simple example to show there is a difference. The difference is noticeable with darker malts at relatively small variances. Not to mention the flavor differences caused by larger amounts of specialty malts.

90/7/3 - 2row/40/500 patent - 75% efficiency = 18.5. 70% = 19.4. 60% = 21.5

One can do whatever works, just should understand that it isn't a perfect linear scale.

Yep, I increased the grain.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:41:33 am »
The something is up with promash. Increasing the amount of a dark grain will change the color if the same volume of water is used.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:44:28 am »
The something is up with promash. Increasing the amount of a dark grain will change the color if the same volume of water is used.

But if you also change the amount of a lighter grain so the ratio remains the same?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 11:44:56 am »

Or Beersmith....;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 11:52:29 am »

But if you also change the amount of a lighter grain so the ratio remains the same?
No, because the amount of color is not related to efficiency of conversion and even affected by base malts.

Easy examples
100% 2L 2-row - 10lbs at 75% 3.4 SRM, 12.5lbs at 60% 4 SRM
100% 10L Munich - 10lbs at 75% 10.3 SRM, 12.5lbs at 60% 12 SRM

Again, I'm just pointing out that it isn't a simple linear equation to scale every recipe. There is same fiddling that needs to be done.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:53:11 am »

Or Beersmith....;)
Touché

If I cared enough to try to remember the math, I'd show it by hand as well.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:52:51 pm »
A local pro said that the color in Promash is not right. I usually don't care enough to calculate by hand.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!