Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: UPDATE: Starsan Effectiveness in Brewing  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: UPDATE: Starsan Effectiveness in Brewing
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 08:12:56 am »
I sanitize my mash tun, my BIAB set up gets a starsan treatment, my utensils, my thermocouple, my chiller sits in starsan until about 10mins before end of boil.  That's the only sanitizer I use on it before it gets put up.  I don't use iodophors or peroxidic acid on my mash tun stuff or my utensils because they don't really need it because they are only used preboil and utensils during boil.
They don't need starsan before end of boil either. Do your thing, but it's not doing anything for you.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 08:21:15 am »
Well I am not going to leave them unsanitary on the shelf, but I understand most just soap and rinse.  Which is fine, I just like to sanitize my stuff before they get put back on the shelf.  I guess that's just me??  I know it is an extra step, but I like it.  I also burn alcohol in my boil kettle after I clean and rinse it, so idk, again just me, and then it gets a hit with starsan too before it gets put up.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 10:14:42 am »
I use Stars an for yeast washing and the yeast works fine afterwards, so clearly it doesn't kill yeast very effectively.
As was pointed out by Mark, a search on the Internet shows that many do this.

My own experience was that a couple kegs would go to Brett flavor and aroma after a while. Using Iodophor rather than SS to sanitize fixed that.

I haven't tried more than a couple of generations but I can imagine that things would go awry after a while due to wild yeast and mutations.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 10:56:12 am »
I use Stars an for yeast washing and the yeast works fine afterwards, so clearly it doesn't kill yeast very effectively.

My own experience was that a couple kegs would go to Brett flavor and aroma after a while. Using Iodophor rather than SS to sanitize fixed that.

I've gone back to using Iodophor 90% of the time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 12:21:35 pm »

. Me too, I just had some very minor issues with Star San which could be operator error, but they cleared with Iodophor.  Also considering using boiling water or pressure cooker as a pre-treat on sour-exposed equipment to get where the chemicals might miss. Steam is impractical for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 12:27:12 pm »

Is your post boil equipment that unclean that you're worried about it? I suppose if you have spot that you don't know about in your transfer tubing that could harbor bacteria, the Iodophor would be a better option for that.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 02:57:17 pm »

Is your post boil equipment that unclean that you're worried about it? I suppose if you have spot that you don't know about in your transfer tubing that could harbor bacteria, the Iodophor would be a better option for that.

Any number of hard to reach places - say a poppet valve on a keg that had Flanders Red in it for a year or the rear seal in a kegerator faucet that dispensed a sour or brett beer.  Before I return those to un-soured use, I want a little better assurance of no lingering microbes.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 05:06:03 pm »
Honestly, the biggest reason I now use Iodophor most of the time is that it's just easier to use. It's easy to make a fresh 1.5 gallon batch  for sanitizing a keg or something simple. The color tells you the effectiveness, no need for pH strips like that old bucket of star san.

I still use star san though, and it has an important place in my brewery. But yeast starter vessels/fermenters/kegs all get iodophor.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 05:07:30 pm »
Honestly, the biggest reason I now use Iodophor most of the time is that it's just easier to use. It's easy to make a fresh 1.5 gallon batch  for sanitizing a keg or something simple. The color tells you the effectiveness, no need for pH strips like that old bucket of star san.

I still use star san though, and it has an important place in my brewery. But yeast starter vessels/fermenters/kegs all get iodophor.
Pretty much the same, but fermenters are only every few batches unless I need iodophor for some other task.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:00 pm »

Pretty much the same, but fermenters are only every few batches unless I need iodophor for some other task.

I've got one of those Mark's Keg Washers. Really easy to dump a gallon of iodophor in it, then sanitize a carboy. Let it sit and airdry on the washer a few minutes, then remove and cap with aluminum foil.

Which was my same procedure with star san, but then I'd have to try and pour it all back into the bucket...which is a smaller target than the kitchen sink...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 05:22:02 pm »
I have a five gallon bucket of starsan on hand at all times. It's refreshed every few months, so I have faith in its effectiveness (as much as one can).

I add a gallon and shake to make foam. I then flip and store upside down while the foam settles and the liquid keeps the mouth sanitized similar to how water coolers work.

I mix my iodophor as need at 12.5ppm (1.5ml/2qt). I use this for my yeast jars and sanitizing starter vessels. There are days where i keg and save yeast while brewing. When I do this I use he iodophor in the fermenter.

Offline danpixley

• 1st Kit
    • My YouTube
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 02:20:44 am »
Anyone who brews with Brettanomyces or even saison yeast (diastaticus) using the same equipment knows that StarSan kills yeast. 
Milk The Funk Wiki Editor - http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki