Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190659 times)

The Beerery

Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #1350 on: May 03, 2017, 04:53:15 pm »
Philbrew is correct. 100mg/L of SMB add a theoretical amount of approximately 101 ppm of sulfate, assuming all MB is converted to sulfate. The calculation needs to be made based on S and assume that during a full conversion from SMB to sulfate MB will get the rest of the oxygen from the system.
Certainly some S will be lost to other reactions depending on one's process, but the theoretical maximum amount that can get converted is 101 ppm not 76 ppm.
By measuring sulfate in the final beer one can calculate how much of the sulfur in the MB got converted to sulfate.
Cheers.
This one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #1351 on: May 03, 2017, 05:19:40 pm »
Philbrew is correct. 100mg/L of SMB add a theoretical amount of approximately 101 ppm of sulfate, assuming all MB is converted to sulfate. The calculation needs to be made based on S and assume that during a full conversion from SMB to sulfate MB will get the rest of the oxygen from the system.
Certainly some S will be lost to other reactions depending on one's process, but the theoretical maximum amount that can get converted is 101 ppm not 76 ppm.
By measuring sulfate in the final beer one can calculate how much of the sulfur in the MB got converted to sulfate.
Cheers.
This one?

Yep. K has a higher mol mass than Na so 100mg KMB provide less MB than 100mg SMB. Best guess is 96mg of SO4 for 100mg KMB if all S is converted. Need to do the math for more precision 😀

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Beerery

Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #1352 on: May 03, 2017, 05:20:58 pm »
Oh sorry I thought we were speaking about nameta.  I fully agree on k, I just assume 100 for both and call it close enough for me!  I only use 15ppm of sulfites anyways.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:22:57 pm by The Beerery »

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #1353 on: May 03, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
Oh sorry I thought we were speaking about nameta.  I fully agree on k, I just assume 100 for both and call it close enough for me!  I only use 15ppm of sulfites anyways.

😀

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1354 on: May 03, 2017, 07:17:16 pm »
Cheers.
This one?

Yep. K has a higher mol mass than Na so 100mg KMB provide less MB than 100mg SMB. Best guess is 96mg of SO4 for 100mg KMB if all S is converted. Need to do the math for more precision 😀

Thanks for the follow-up on this, and is close enough for my horseshoes-style purpose :D

Offline hannabrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #1355 on: May 05, 2017, 02:46:06 pm »
If I were to create a spray bottle for grain conditioning, how could I determine how much SMB to add to such a small volume?

Big Monk

« Reply #1356 on: May 05, 2017, 06:19:03 pm »
If I were to create a spray bottle for grain conditioning, how could I determine how much SMB to add to such a small volume?

Most spray bottles are 1l. Just add 10-20 mg.

Offline hannabrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #1357 on: May 05, 2017, 09:27:50 pm »

Keep in mind I know nothing but that seems high considering I thought the recommendation for a no sparge mash is 25-50mg.  What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Big Monk

« Reply #1358 on: May 06, 2017, 06:49:42 am »

Keep in mind I know nothing but that seems high considering I thought the recommendation for a no sparge mash is 25-50mg.  What am I missing?

Sorry. The dosing for batches is in mg/l (ppm). So if you have a 1l spray bottle, just add 10-20mg (or more if you'd like) to your bottle and give it a go!

Offline hannabrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #1359 on: May 06, 2017, 10:15:42 am »
Ah that's what I missed.  Thanks!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1360 on: May 06, 2017, 04:02:22 pm »

There is really no need to add any SMB to your water for grain conditioning as it will basically oxidize while the grain is conditioning. Just straight distilled water is fine for this.

Big Monk

« Reply #1361 on: May 06, 2017, 05:21:57 pm »

There is really no need to add any SMB to your water for grain conditioning as it will basically oxidize while the grain is conditioning. Just straight distilled water is fine for this.

If you were milling right before dough in there would be some positive effects. If you are treating your water with the plan of mashing in immediately, it can't hurt. If time will pass before mash in, I'd agree with brewinhard.

The Beerery

« Reply #1362 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:41 am »
So it's been pretty quiet for awhile, I realize most of the talk is on our forums but I know people here are still trying things and interested. We are still trying to perfect this stuff, and working diligently to streamline and enhance the method.

Where does everyone here stand on their efforts? Any questions?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1363 on: June 29, 2017, 12:08:43 pm »
You have perfect timing!  I'm planning to brew this weekend and don't know that I'll have time for the pre-boil.  I know there's another approach to de-o the mash water, using yeast somehow, but I can't access your forum from work. 

What's the simple summary of using yeast to de-o the water?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

The Beerery

« Reply #1364 on: June 29, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »
You have perfect timing!  I'm planning to brew this weekend and don't know that I'll have time for the pre-boil.  I know there's another approach to de-o the mash water, using yeast somehow, but I can't access your forum from work. 

What's the simple summary of using yeast to de-o the water?

For sure..

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/yeast-deoxygenation-method/

That should get you goin.