Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 81134 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #1365 on: June 29, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
Groovy.  I'll check it tonight.

Thanks.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

The Beerery

« Reply #1366 on: June 29, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »
Groovy.  I'll check it tonight.

Thanks.

Thats my bad I skimmed past the part where you said you couldn't access the stuff. Here is the take away.

"We find for us, the dextrose/bread yeast is the best bang for your buck and it is very easy to scale off of this test by using the dextrose and a dry bread yeast at a rate of twice your batch volume in grams (i.e. 5 * 2 = 10 grams each of dry bread yeast and dextrose)."

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1367 on: June 29, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
Thanks.  No worries.  I don't have much time during the day lately either.

I'll try to read tonight over a glass.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #1368 on: June 30, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »
Thanks.  No worries.  I don't have much time during the day lately either.

I'll try to read tonight over a glass.

Yea, it's insanely simple. I have dried bread yeast around in bulk which I use with table sugar (cheaper than using a packet of S-05). Think I was doing 11 or 12 grams each and adding it while heating strike water. By the time I'm ready to mash it's done it's job.

I've recorded post lauter DO of <1ppm using a Brew Bag. I dough in gently with a stainless steel scoop, try not to splash too much, and remove the bag as gently as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if more advanced systems like Bryan's do a better job, but it's nice to know that even with a very simple setup and no extra time you can still greatly reduce hot side oxygen.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #1369 on: June 30, 2017, 07:57:45 PM »
So you're saying that with the yeast method it is sufficient to add yeast and sugar to cold water before starting to heat, and that the oxygen will have been scavenged by the time the water is at strike temperature?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1370 on: June 30, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
So you're saying that with the yeast method it is sufficient to add yeast and sugar to cold water before starting to heat, and that the oxygen will have been scavenged by the time the water is at strike temperature?
I second this question.
I don't have my results. Brewed for the first time in a long time. I preboiled, did a 20 gallon batch, so yeast would save me time and NG. Doing 20 gallons of Saison on the 4th, and 20 of Kolsch on the 5th. Even though I have changed some of my equipment,  I found my last Saison was more stable than my other 3 brews. Kolsch was the least stable, so it should really give me the most feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

The Beerery

Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #1371 on: June 30, 2017, 09:55:14 PM »
Ideally you would heat the water to around 90f and add yeast and wait about an hour.  If you are pressed for time you could do it the night before and just keep your lid on the hlt, then heat in the morning as normal.  The time frames and DO numbers are in the blog post I linked. Cheers

Offline hannabrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #1372 on: July 01, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
Have there been any noticable flavors using this technique?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Online natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1373 on: July 01, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
I have used this technique quite a number of times now (maybe 20) and have never detected anything negative from it.  I have changed around the dosing rates for the yeast and sugar, and also the 'rest' time for the o2 pickup by the yeast and don't notice anything flavor wise. 

I have noticed a slight reduction in pH, I'm not sure if that is from the yeast activity moving the pH of the water or if it is the dissolved CO2 making carbonic acid.  In either case, it was a shift of maybe 0.1 or so.  I'm willing to bet that results would depend on what water/buffering you are starting with.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1374 on: July 10, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
Tried it on Sunday for a Pils and a wit.  We'll see how they come out.

Couldn't get the yeast I wanted at the LHBS so I went with an Imperial Yeast Urkel.  I am NOT a fan of the packaging.  Too much of the yeast gets stuck in on the bottom of the can.  I am not planning to use these again.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1375 on: July 10, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Tried it on Sunday for a Pils and a wit.  We'll see how they come out.

Couldn't get the yeast I wanted at the LHBS so I went with an Imperial Yeast Urkel.  I am NOT a fan of the packaging.  Too much of the yeast gets stuck in on the bottom of the can.  I am not planning to use these again.
Joe you forgot to mention the explosion you get. Mine acted like an old shaken bottle of TAB. I looked inside the can and wondered how much was left behind. I will say it took off like gang busters! 

Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1376 on: July 10, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »
I've had pretty good luck so far with their yeast, and like the strains I've used. I don't remembering the company's directions being written on the can, so I looked it up on their site - it says to turn the can upside down in the fridge the night before use. At pitching, invert the can back upright and GENTLY crack the pull tab to fully vent any pressure (like you would a can of soda that got shaken). After opening, swirl the can to bring the yeast all into suspension, and dump.
Hopefully this is of some help in the future. If it's not printed on the can, it really should be.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1377 on: July 10, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
It's not printed on the can. After my first experience, this is exactly what I did.

I got yeast sludge stuck to the lid and yeast sludge stuck to the bottom and little in suspension.  Swirling it does little.

Their instructions say to add wort to swirl it up after you pour it out.  Also to stir it with something.

The yeast seems to work fine.  The package sucks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1378 on: July 10, 2017, 11:08:29 PM »
It's not printed on the can. After my first experience, this is exactly what I did.

I got yeast sludge stuck to the lid and yeast sludge stuck to the bottom and little in suspension.  Swirling it does little.

Their instructions say to add wort to swirl it up after you pour it out.  Also to stir it with something.

The yeast seems to work fine.  The package sucks.

It must be a strain thing then, Joe. I've used their Rustic saison strain a few times as well as the kolsch strain once and haven't had these issues, since neither drops very quickly. Since some other strains tend to drop and cake more easily than these, sounds like they need to retool their packaging.
Jon H.

Offline lupulus

• Assistant Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #1379 on: July 11, 2017, 01:51:27 AM »
You need to shake it extremely hard for at least 2-3 minutes. Then leave it alone for 10 minutes. Then open it. Be ready to dump it in the container you will use, eg, Erlenmeyer flask.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson