Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190632 times)

Big Monk

Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2016, 08:52:39 pm »
This might help with your efficiency adjustment, in case you haven't seen it.

No sparge really requires that your process is on point to get great efficiency.

Your crush has to be right, conversion η high and mash losses low.

Conversion can be aided along with proper pH management and recirculation. Lauter η is helped by lower mash losses. Bottom filling and draining is one way to minimize MLT loss.

There is no reason that most can't get 80-90% mash η under the right circumstances. Plus you don't have to sparge!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2016, 06:57:04 am »

No sparge really requires that your process is on point to get great efficiency.

Conversion can be aided along with proper pH management and recirculation. Lauter η is helped by lower mash losses. Bottom filling and draining is one way to minimize MLT loss.

There is no reason that most can't get 80-90% mash η under the right circumstances. Plus you don't have to sparge!

When you guys talk about no sparge, are you actually doing it full volume, or a modified no sparge where you mash at a normal ratio and then add the remaining volume after mash and drain (or to the kettle)? I've done the latter, never the former.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2016, 06:58:00 am »

When you guys talk about no sparge, are you actually doing it full volume, or a modified no sparge where you mash at a normal ratio and then add the remaining volume after mash and drain (or to the kettle)? I've done the latter, never the former.

Full Volume.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2016, 07:00:07 am »

Full Volume.

I assumed that, or there would be no advantage in terms of O2 uptake. I was always scared of the high water:grain but I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2016, 07:11:08 am »
Another one  - I thought I saw a post or linked document here that mentioned kegging with a small amount of SMB. Is that advisable and, if so, what is an effective amount that stays below the taste threshold? I definitely wouldn't want to use much (if any) there. Thanks in advance.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2016, 07:46:06 am »

Full Volume.

I assumed that, or there would be no advantage in terms of O2 uptake. I was always scared of the high water:grain but I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend.

Try to keep it under 3qts/lb.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2016, 07:48:28 am »
Try to keep it under 3qts/lb.

Cool, thanks.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2016, 07:49:06 am »
Another one  - I thought I saw a post or linked document here that mentioned kegging with a small amount of SMB. Is that advisable and, if so, what is an effective amount that stays below the taste threshold? I definitely wouldn't want to use much (if any) there. Thanks in advance.

Yea full disclosure, this always gives me the heebeejeebees. I have done quite a bit of work with trying to find the right methods ingredients and amounts, with not much success. I will always try and steer one towards spunding, as not only does it carbonate with beautiful pure co2, you are capturing natural antioxidants(sulfur).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2016, 07:57:03 am »

Yea full disclosure, this always gives me the heebeejeebees. I have done quite a bit of work with trying to find the right methods ingredients and amounts, with not much success. I will always try and steer one towards spunding, as not only does it carbonate with beautiful pure co2, you are capturing natural antioxidants(sulfur).

Concerning for me, too. I don't think I could bring myself to do it, was just curious.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2016, 08:02:01 am »
I really don't know what to expect in terms of the efficiency hit.  I'm usually in the low 80's for this beer, but with no sparge, no stirring to break up any dough balls, shorter boil, and conditioned grain (which I think will result in a coarser crush), I designed the recipe to target 70%.

This is my concern going at this for the first time, too. I crush fine, bag in a cooler, batch sparge and typically get about 85% mash efficiency. First go at it I think I'm going to keep everything the same except preboil, 50 ppm SMB, no sparge (single infusion temp for ale), minimal/no stir. I'm guessing this will put me  at ~70% ME.

Same concerns here, but I will say as Monk alluded mashing at a pH of 5.2 does kick things up a notch IME so we might be surprised.  Let us not forget some think a thinner mash improves efficiency as well.  I hit 80% with single batch sparge so 70% seems reasonable.  I mean no disrespect to Kai or Schwartz but the batch sparge analysis has no mention of pH...  An acidified sparge makes a huge impact on efficiency. 

I am also a bit freaked of SMB at kegging.  I think ALOT of these things will eventually shake out by trial and error as we're on the fringe.  Fairly certain I going with a SMB/AA blend at kegging.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

narvin

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2016, 09:02:00 am »

Derek, you brew lots of Belgian style beers.  Have you tried spunding with them?

I've found that I prefer the results of an open fermentation, and part of that could be the removal of volatile compounds.  Seems like less of that would happen if you spund, but that's only speculation.

Big Monk

« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2016, 10:23:21 am »
I replied with a detailed post and it didn't go through! I'll rework it again. Long story short is that Bryan is the man for kegging. I am a bottler.

I have not done a Belgian. We do have some thoughts on bottling though. Post to follow.

The Beerery

« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2016, 10:42:39 am »
I have a current batch, that is chilling in the serving kegerator, that was fermented to final gravity, let sit for 1 addtional week, then kegged and priming sugar added. It is fully carbed now 2 weeks later! I will post some tasting notes on it maybe this weekend.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2016, 11:51:57 am »
I have a current batch, that is chilling in the serving kegerator, that was fermented to final gravity, let sit for 1 addtional week, then kegged and priming sugar added. It is fully carbed now 2 weeks later! I will post some tasting notes on it maybe this weekend.
I have been doing this with some of my low o2 ales. What I find is the low o2 character makes it through ok and would probably hold out for the majority of the time it takes a normal person to finish a keg. The spunded kegs do seem to out last the primed kegs.

The Beerery

« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2016, 01:54:11 pm »
I have been doing this with some of my low o2 ales. What I find is the low o2 character makes it through ok and would probably hold out for the majority of the time it takes a normal person to finish a keg. The spunded kegs do seem to out last the primed kegs.

I agree, and I think this is because you have active yeast on the transfer, and are capturing some of that sulfur for the antioxidant.