Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190256 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #885 on: January 05, 2017, 02:38:06 pm »
I don't understand why you blocked a portion of the label. Cool results otherwise.
He said it was proprietary information in the blog post.

Right. Being that you need a brewing license to obtain it, releasing the blend percentages to the general public would be frowned upon.
I saw that and that is where I am confused. If it were proprietary, I would think the manufacture wouldn't print it on the bag. I guess it could be covered by an NDA, but still seems risky to print it on the packaging.

Yea, didn't want to step on any toes. Prior to getting it, I asked about the ratio and was told it was proprietary, then I got the bag and they had some info on it. I grayed it out as I didn't want to cause issues.
If nobody objects I can post the information I have. Bought the stuff in Italy and I'm Belgian...
I don't understand why you blocked a portion of the label. Cool results otherwise.
He said it was proprietary information in the blog post.

Right. Being that you need a brewing license to obtain it, releasing the blend percentages to the general public would be frowned upon.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #886 on: January 05, 2017, 03:02:09 pm »
The cat's probably out of the bag at this point. I think a previous post mentions a ratio, which I'm guessing is close to that of this product.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #887 on: January 05, 2017, 04:19:04 pm »
I just got a chance to catch up on the posts and I had a question that you might have an answer to.  Have you tested the amount of DO that you get in the finished product if you did a less stringent purging procedure on the keg before transferring in the fermenting wort (perhaps this is somewhere in the previous 60 pages that I missed). 

I'm mostly just curious. I know that doing the full 'push out purge' is the best, but with the active yeast being such good scavengers I'm wondering if you just did a simple CO2 purge of the keg and then transferred in "active beer", would you get significant/any oxygen effects since the yeast would scrub it out pretty quick and the stuff is cold so you have a little bit of time for the yeast to get it done (not much, but it doesn't seem like it would take long for the yeast to scrub it out). 

I guess it would be an interesting experiment to do a keg purged by simply flowing 5 gallons of CO2 into it from a tank and then transferring in and then measuring the DO level you get after reaching terminal gravity. 

(Thanks for posting the new article)
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #888 on: January 06, 2017, 06:09:42 am »
Is it possible antioxin is neutralizing the color of dark syrup? A fellow-homebrewer from Belgium has brewed a quad (syrup added during fermentation) with antioxin and reports the color is 30 units off.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #889 on: January 06, 2017, 06:19:38 am »
Is it possible antioxin is neutralizing the color of dark syrup? A fellow-homebrewer from Belgium has brewed a quad (syrup added during fermentation) with antioxin and reports the color is 30 units off.

I think it's more that it doesn't allow the darkening from oxidation (like watching a sliced apple turn brown). The Dunkel I just brewed with the SMB/AA/BTB mixture is noticeably lighter by a few SRM than the 16 SRM I targeted. I'm gonna start accounting for the lighter color in my recipes. Damn fine tasting beer early on though.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #890 on: January 06, 2017, 06:31:25 am »

No, the syrup is already colored and I don't see if changing that. The base beer though, for sure.

The Beerery

« Reply #891 on: January 06, 2017, 06:35:06 am »
I just got a chance to catch up on the posts and I had a question that you might have an answer to.  Have you tested the amount of DO that you get in the finished product if you did a less stringent purging procedure on the keg before transferring in the fermenting wort (perhaps this is somewhere in the previous 60 pages that I missed). 

I'm mostly just curious. I know that doing the full 'push out purge' is the best, but with the active yeast being such good scavengers I'm wondering if you just did a simple CO2 purge of the keg and then transferred in "active beer", would you get significant/any oxygen effects since the yeast would scrub it out pretty quick and the stuff is cold so you have a little bit of time for the yeast to get it done (not much, but it doesn't seem like it would take long for the yeast to scrub it out). 

I guess it would be an interesting experiment to do a keg purged by simply flowing 5 gallons of CO2 into it from a tank and then transferring in and then measuring the DO level you get after reaching terminal gravity. 

Its so easy to fill the keg with sanitizer and push it out. I mean I see where you are going, but its just too easy to do it right :)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #892 on: January 06, 2017, 06:42:51 am »
One thing that I was wondering from the picture is where you are taking that final DO measurement?  Did you pop open the keg and measure the liquid that way?  It is off the bottom of the photo of the meter so I couldn't tell.

The Beerery

« Reply #893 on: January 06, 2017, 06:44:41 am »
One thing that I was wondering from the picture is where you are taking that final DO measurement?  Did you pop open the keg and measure the liquid that way?  It is off the bottom of the photo of the meter so I couldn't tell.

No , you should never break the seal of the keg once the beer is in there, just breaking the seal will introduce enough O2 to cause problems. This was taken from a sampling glass.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #894 on: January 06, 2017, 06:44:58 am »

Its so easy to fill the keg with sanitizer and push it out. I mean I see where you are going, but its just too easy to do it right :)

I guess my real curiosity is to how robust the process is, not so much looking for short cuts.

The Beerery

« Reply #895 on: January 06, 2017, 06:49:09 am »

I guess my real curiosity is to how robust the process is, not so much looking for short cuts.

I am sure they yeast will consume it, but I bet you will lose some of your sulfites(how many depends on how well you purged), which will cause premature staling down the line. IF you consume your beer fast, I am sure you could probably get away with it, but I am by no means recommending it. ;)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #896 on: January 06, 2017, 06:50:18 am »

It only seems worth it to do this if you can close transfer though. Some people don't have this ability unfortunately, mainly those who ferment in buckets and use an auto siphon to transfer. Am I missing something?
Jesse

The Beerery

« Reply #897 on: January 06, 2017, 06:59:13 am »

It only seems worth it to do this if you can close transfer though. Some people don't have this ability unfortunately, mainly those who ferment in buckets and use an auto siphon to transfer. Am I missing something?

I would always purge the keg properly no matter what. Even if you use an autosiphon, you would start that siphon into the liquid out of the keg and just bleed off pressure though gas out or the PRV. Purging a keg shouldn't really have anything to do with the method you use to get the beer into it.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #898 on: January 06, 2017, 07:20:50 am »

I would always purge the keg properly no matter what. Even if you use an autosiphon, you would start that siphon into the liquid out of the keg and just bleed off pressure though gas out or the PRV. Purging a keg shouldn't really have anything to do with the method you use to get the beer into it.
Hmmm, I may have to try this. I'd think it'd take way longer to transfer in through the liquid out.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #899 on: January 06, 2017, 07:24:41 am »

Hmmm, I may have to try this. I'd think it'd take way longer to transfer in through the liquid out.
Yes it does take some time. When I did closed transfers from the conical, I put 2 PSI CO2 on the conical to help speed it up.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!