Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190746 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #900 on: January 06, 2017, 08:12:38 am »
I recently bought a beer QD with the flare 1/4" fitting for my ball lock kegs. Also got the 5/16"[gas] barb fitting to attach to it instead of the 1/4" [beer] barb. The 5/16" barb fits onto the hose going to the  Auto- siphon. This is the way I figured out how to close transfer using a Auto-siphon opening the PRV as said earlier. I use a carboy and wrap foil around the opening with the Auto-siphon. I'm not sure about what one would do if using buckets unless it was a bottling type with a valve. My last beers were my first no-sparge beers with 63ppm SMB. These beers came out great with great hop aroma and flavor and a lighter color than usaual with the same recipe.   I pulled the trigger on a new SS chiller so will be getting rid of all copper in my system.                              Question, with no copper could I use a 50/50 mix of SMB and AA with no BrewtanB?  Will this eliminate the need for BrewtanB?
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

The Beerery

« Reply #901 on: January 06, 2017, 08:26:48 am »
I recently bought a beer QD with the flare 1/4" fitting for my ball lock kegs. Also got the 5/16"[gas] barb fitting to attach to it instead of the 1/4" [beer] barb. The 5/16" barb fits onto the hose going to the  Auto- siphon. This is the way I figured out how to close transfer using a Auto-siphon opening the PRV as said earlier. I use a carboy and wrap foil around the opening with the Auto-siphon. I'm not sure about what one would do if using buckets unless it was a bottling type with a valve. My last beers were my first no-sparge beers with 63ppm SMB. These beers came out great with great hop aroma and flavor and a lighter color than usaual with the same recipe.   I pulled the trigger on a new SS chiller so will be getting rid of all copper in my system.                              Question, with no copper could I use a 50/50 mix of SMB and AA with no BrewtanB?  Will this eliminate the need for BrewtanB?

Good to hear about your results!

I would still use the BTB, it will only help. I use no copper whatsoever and still use Gallotannins.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #902 on: January 06, 2017, 08:45:25 am »
Simple search reveals composition and dose of very similar product:

http://www.aebafrica.co.za/antioxy/AROMAX_depliant_inglese.pdf

Composition:
50% potassium pyrosulphate
35% ascorbic acid
15% gallotannins

Dose: 20 grams per hl, increases so2 by 54 ppm, right where I want it.

[EDIT] Gallotannins would then be 3 grams per hl, also similar to brewtan b dosage, right?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:51:44 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #903 on: January 06, 2017, 08:52:42 am »

Composition:
35% ascorbic acid
15% gallotannins

[EDIT] Gallotannins would then be 3 grams per hl, also similar to brewtan b dosage, right?
Isn't it cheaper to buy these separately? https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-products/winemaking/acids-enzymes-deacidifiers/acids/d/ascorbic-acid-vinoferm-ascorvit-250gr#.WG-81bWkqEc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #904 on: January 06, 2017, 08:58:46 am »
May be yes. BTW, that link says to add ascorbic acid @5gr/hl, which is also very similar to the 35% = 7gr/hl.
Frank P.

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #905 on: January 06, 2017, 09:05:41 am »
But that is for AA only, right? The combo will allow you to go lower with each, allowing for less sulphuric flavor in ales, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #906 on: January 06, 2017, 09:12:28 am »
Another "legal" link: http://www.mr-malt.com/antioxin-sbt-kg-1.html - recommended dosage: 5-10 grams/hl
Frank P.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #907 on: January 06, 2017, 09:15:07 am »
This thread got away from me. Someone was talking about DIY mash caps a few pages back. Long before I knew about lodo, I made one for my Denny-style mash tun with some foamboard and foil tape. I recently added a circle flow kit for recirculation. You can certainly build something much nicer than this (and many have), but I'm posting it to show how low the bar can be.

The Beerery

« Reply #908 on: January 06, 2017, 09:43:50 am »

Composition:
35% ascorbic acid
15% gallotannins

Not that it won't work, but in all my studying and reading of antioxidants and beer, potassium pyrosulphate has never came up. So approach that with caution.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #909 on: January 06, 2017, 09:55:43 am »

Composition:
35% ascorbic acid
15% gallotannins

Not that it won't work, but in all my studying and reading of antioxidants and beer, potassium pyrosulphate has never came up. So approach that with caution.

Just referring to it for the percentages. So using known ingredients would be 50% smb, 35% aa, 15% brewtan b.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #910 on: January 06, 2017, 09:56:32 am »
BTW the two separate low oxygen threads are a mess.
Frank P.

The Beerery

« Reply #911 on: January 06, 2017, 09:58:46 am »

Composition:
35% ascorbic acid
15% gallotannins

Just referring to it for the percentages. So using known ingredients would be 50% smb, 35% aa, 15% brewtan b.

Oh, for sure.. If it was me I would lower SMB and UP AA, but thats just me ;)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #912 on: January 06, 2017, 03:45:01 pm »
Yes but this is the AHA Forum not the LODO forum.  Also, the other thread was posted for a specific purpose that got off-track.  It should probably be closed.  Maybe those interested in LODO should join the German Brewing Forum too.  I should probably do this, or just PM Bryan.  Have a lot of time on your hands Bryan? ;)
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #913 on: January 06, 2017, 03:47:28 pm »
This thread got away from me. Someone was talking about DIY mash caps a few pages back. Long before I knew about lodo, I made one for my Denny-style mash tun with some foamboard and foil tape. I recently added a circle flow kit for recirculation. You can certainly build something much nicer than this (and many have), but I'm posting it to show how low the bar can be.

Will you please post a parts list for your set-up?  I also brew Denny-style but want to adapt it for LODO.
Brian
mobrewer

The Beerery

« Reply #914 on: January 06, 2017, 04:23:06 pm »
Yes but this is the AHA Forum not the LODO forum.  Also, the other thread was posted for a specific purpose that got off-track.  It should probably be closed.  Maybe those interested in LODO should join the German Brewing Forum too.  I should probably do this, or just PM Bryan.  Have a lot of time on your hands Bryan? ;)

Having been the founder of the GBF forum, I would caution folks who join there that's is very heavy into German styles and not anything else. The AHA and HBT have the bulk of the "general" brewing threads.  Being this is a forum for all things brewing I think it's fine that people use this forum to ask questions. 

Between pms on here, GBF, HBT, google chat, Facebook, email and the blog I am speaking to 50-100 people directly daily. I am happy to help when I can.  Speaking of... did you get your care package?