Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190184 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #915 on: January 06, 2017, 05:42:03 pm »
Bryan,

I couldn't help but notice the triple threat incorporated Kmeta and not Nameta. I also remember reading on the low oxygen site that Kmeta was not as desirable as Nameta was due to potential issues with potassium and yeast health (IIRC).
How is Kmeta then all of a sudden better to use?  Not trying to ruffle feathers here, just curious about the switch?

The Beerery

« Reply #916 on: January 06, 2017, 05:54:51 pm »
Bryan,

I couldn't help but notice the triple threat incorporated Kmeta and not Nameta. I also remember reading on the low oxygen site that Kmeta was not as desirable as Nameta was due to potential issues with potassium and yeast health (IIRC).
How is Kmeta then all of a sudden better to use?  Not trying to ruffle feathers here, just curious about the switch?
No! No worries happy to explain. In the beginning the dose needed for oxygen scavenging would have had to contain to much K, that being the 100ppm dose. NarziƟ mentions in Die that levels above 10ppm K in brewing water can harm mash enzymes. It just so happens that the base dosage of the "trifecta" is ~14ppm so very close to N's recommendations. The benefits are that Kmeta is a little more potent and does not contribute to NA in the brewing water. However, they can easily be used interchangeably, no need to switch and buy new if you have NAmeta. It's just the commercially available stuff is using Kmeta. 
Hope that helps. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #917 on: January 06, 2017, 07:21:57 pm »
Quote from: beersk link=topic=27965.msg372524#msg372524 date=
[/quote
It only seems worth it to do this if you can close transfer though. Some people don't have this ability unfortunately, mainly those who ferment in buckets and use an auto siphon to transfer. Am I missing something?

I know this is late in response to the question, but they make a stainless splicer that is barbed on both sides to use as a reducer - mine goes from 1/2 inch to 5/16 standard beer line here's one that goes 3/8 to 1/4 as an example:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-Splicer-14-X-38_p_3993.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:25:41 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #918 on: January 06, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »
You can certainly build something much nicer than this (and many have), but I'm posting it to show how low the bar can be.

I agree, Andy. Here is a couple of shots of my mash cap. A piece of yoga mat with a piece of aluminum flashing bolted to the underside to spread the flow. The hose and fitting are purposely light...silicone tube with a nylon angle barb. I found that lightness is a VERY important feature, so that the unit floats well. The top side of the cap has a couple of wood stiffeners glued to the foam.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #919 on: January 07, 2017, 08:42:08 am »
Will you please post a parts list for your set-up?  I also brew Denny-style but want to adapt it for LODO.
Sure, here is an Amazon wish list containing all the fittings. Some are no longer available, but at least you can see the specs. The foam board and foil tape are just what you can find at any hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #920 on: January 07, 2017, 08:58:05 am »
Yes thanks for the care package Bryan.  I'm waiting to use it until I get a mash cap and some BTB to counter my copper IC.  Thanks for the info ajk and Martin.  I will be making something similar.  Think my wife will mind me cutting up her yoga mat?
Brian
mobrewer

The Beerery

« Reply #921 on: January 07, 2017, 10:22:39 am »
Yes thanks for the care package Bryan.  I'm waiting to use it until I get a mash cap and some BTB to counter my copper IC.  Thanks for the info ajk and Martin.  I will be making something similar.  Think my wife will mind me cutting up her yoga mat?

You don't need btb with this mixture, FYI.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #922 on: January 07, 2017, 10:35:53 am »
There's enough BTB in it to counter the copper IC?  I assumed I would have to add some at KO
Brian
mobrewer

Big Monk

Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #923 on: January 07, 2017, 11:21:09 am »

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #924 on: January 07, 2017, 11:42:13 am »
I tried doing one just like that, but it kept flipping over.  How are you getting it to stay in the right orientation?
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Big Monk

« Reply #925 on: January 07, 2017, 11:44:56 am »
I tried doing one just like that, but it kept flipping over.  How are you getting it to stay in the right orientation?

I had issues because I only use a 4 gallon MLT. Others use the silicone lid gaskets from SS Brewtech but I just use a piece of silicone tubing cut to length for the circumference of my lid, and slit down the middle to go around.

You just set it in snug and off you go.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #926 on: January 07, 2017, 11:47:20 am »
so does it float up and down on the top of the liquid as it moves or do you just put it down to the right level during the main rest and it just stays where you put it?
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Big Monk

« Reply #927 on: January 07, 2017, 11:48:18 am »
so does it float up and down on the top of the liquid as it moves or do you just put it down to the right level during the main rest and it just stays where you put it?

Stays put. No floating.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #928 on: January 08, 2017, 07:42:42 am »
Quick question..... How many grams of Sodium Metabisulfite per gallon of mash water and sparge water should be used? 
I used campden tablets the first time I tried this, but have NaMeta on hand this time - But, can't find the amount of NaMeta expressed as grams/gallon.

Thanks

The Beerery

« Reply #929 on: January 08, 2017, 08:07:39 am »
Quick question..... How many grams of Sodium Metabisulfite per gallon of mash water and sparge water should be used? 
I used campden tablets the first time I tried this, but have NaMeta on hand this time - But, can't find the amount of NaMeta expressed as grams/gallon.

Thanks

Take your ppm and convert it to mg/l.  100ppm is 100mg/l, or whatever number you want to use.