Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190217 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #945 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:01 pm »
I'm considering this.  Think it would work with a siphon instead of a dip tube and bulkhead?
https://www.morebeer.com/products/trub-trapper.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:53:17 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #946 on: January 09, 2017, 10:03:51 pm »
I'm considering this.  Think it would work with a siphon instead of a dip tube and bulkhead?
I'm sure it will work just as well, but I don't think that thing will work much better than a standard whirlpool with a siphon from the outside edge.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #947 on: January 10, 2017, 08:35:46 am »
The first glance made think it was an air filter from a carbureted car back when. Maybe a vendor had excess tooling to make these?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #948 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:42 am »
The first glance made think it was an air filter from a carbureted car back when. Maybe a vendor had excess tooling to make these?
I had the same thought!

If one uses an immersion chiller, wouldn't it get in the way of that?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #949 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:16 am »
I had the same thought!

Whirlpool should be performed after chilling and removal of the immersion chiller.

I don't understand how it works. Whirlpools push the break out to the sides where gravity pulls them down and to the center. If that things gasket is on the bottom, how is break getting in the middle?

narvin

« Reply #950 on: January 10, 2017, 08:59:01 am »
I had the same thought!

Whirlpool should be performed after chilling and removal of the immersion chiller.

I don't understand how it works. Whirlpools push the break out to the sides where gravity pulls them down and to the center. If that things gasket is on the bottom, how is break getting in the middle?

I suppose I can see it working, if I squint really hard...

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Whirlpool_dynamics.gif

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #951 on: January 10, 2017, 09:32:15 am »
I had the same thought!

A lot of homebrewers perform a whirlpool as part of their chilling process, to speed it up. Even if they didn't, it would seem cumbersome to remove the chiller and drop that filter down into the wort without disturbing the break cone.
It would have to be added after the whirlpool, but that would be difficult, at least for clumsy brewers like me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #952 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:43 am »
It would have to be added after the whirlpool, but that would be difficult, at least for clumsy brewers like me.

Yeah, would definitely have to be added post-whirlpool, but it just seems like an awkward process all the while not disturbing the trub cone. OTOH maybe it's not that tough.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #953 on: January 10, 2017, 09:53:13 am »
It's not rubber, it's food grade silicone good to 600°f. You put it in before the wort, it stays in through the boil. Read the description. Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 wrong words.

That said, it's a solution in search of a problem.

The Beerery

« Reply #954 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:39 am »
It's not rubber, it's food grade silicone good to 600°f. You put it in before the wort, it stays in through the boil. Read the description. Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 wrong words.

That wasn't the issue from what I understand it... The issue is getting a proper whirlpool with it in.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #955 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:09 am »
I had the same thought!

A lot of homebrewers perform a whirlpool as part of their chilling process, to speed it up. Even if they didn't, it would seem cumbersome to remove the chiller and drop that filter down into the wort without disturbing the break cone.
I understand the concept of whirlpool chilling, but a  whirlpool as the term was originally intended has nothing to do with chilling. I whirlpool chill, pull my chiller at temp, run pump for another 5 minutes or so, and rest for 30.

The instructions for the trub trapper say to place in kettle at the start. Again, I don't understand how break gets in it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #956 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:49 am »

I just went with what one of the 2 reviews said on Morebeer as the best use of it -   "Will your immersion chiller fit inside or over the top of this device, or are you willing to put it in after chilling? I found that latter to be a viable option."

Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #957 on: January 10, 2017, 12:33:08 pm »
A new blog post:

Trub seperation

Prost.

Thanks for posting this.

That is a crazy temp drop from 68F to low 40's in 45 minutes. I don't think I have the capability for that. I usually drop the temps first in my kettle then rack crystal clear wort over directly to the fermenter. Summer time does pose some extra problems though which may have to be solved in a few later months to come.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #958 on: January 10, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »
If this has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize. I'm curious if yeast choice makes a difference when brewing low O2? Especially, can a Kölsch be made using 029 fermented at 62F and turned around a little quicker than a cool fermented lager?

Seems to me the process is yeast and style independent, just want to make sure. Thanks!

The Beerery

« Reply #959 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:11 pm »
If this has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize. I'm curious if yeast choice makes a difference when brewing low O2? Especially, can a Kölsch be made using 029 fermented at 62F and turned around a little quicker than a cool fermented lager?

Seems to me the process is yeast and style independent, just want to make sure. Thanks!

If you are asking can a kolsch be made with kolsch yeast,sure.  If you are asking if you can use kolsch yeast to make a tradional lager say a helles... then sure. But it won't be a helles,  it would be a kolsch. The esters from the yeast make it not like tradional Bavarian lager strains.. along with that you won't get the sulfur and the yeast derived sulfites to help protect and achieve the proper flavor profiles.
Low oxygen brewing is an overarching technique, it's not yeast and style dependent.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:50:09 pm by The Beerery »