Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190154 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #960 on: January 10, 2017, 05:19:06 pm »
If this has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize. I'm curious if yeast choice makes a difference when brewing low O2? Especially, can a Kölsch be made using 029 fermented at 62F and turned around a little quicker than a cool fermented lager?

Seems to me the process is yeast and style independent, just want to make sure. Thanks!

If you are asking can a kolsch be made with kolsch yeast,sure.  If you are asking if you can use kolsch yeast to make a tradional lager say a helles... then sure. But it won't be a helles,  it would be a kolsch. The esters from the yeast make it not like tradional Bavarian lager strains.. along with that you won't get the sulfur and the yeast derived sulfites to help protect and achieve the proper flavor profiles.
Low oxygen brewing is an overarching technique, it's not yeast and style dependent.

Thanks, it's for a Kölsch.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #961 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:17 pm »
I'm considering this.  Think it would work with a siphon instead of a dip tube and bulkhead?
https://www.morebeer.com/products/trub-trapper.html
The first glance made think it was an air filter from a carbureted car back when. Maybe a vendor had excess tooling to make these?
I had the same thought!

If one uses an immersion chiller, wouldn't it get in the way of that?
Whirlpool should be performed after chilling and removal of the immersion chiller.

I don't understand how it works. Whirlpools push the break out to the sides where gravity pulls them down and to the center. If that things gasket is on the bottom, how is break getting in the middle?

I suppose I can see it working, if I squint really hard...

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Whirlpool_dynamics.gif
This was first explained by....

Albert Einstein when he observed his cup of tea after stirring.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_leaf_paradox
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #962 on: January 13, 2017, 11:26:13 am »
Thanks for sharing all this great information. Most, if not all of it, just makes sense to me and I'm going to incorporate it slowly into my system. So far, I've tried spunding on an AIPA and I've had encouraging results. However, my wife gets bad headaches from sulfites in wine and, since stopping the use of SMB in my homemade wines, her wine-related headaches have ceased. She enjoys my beer as well and so I'd prefer to not add sulfates to it. Are you aware of any possible substitute to SMB in the mash for scavenging oxygen?

The Beerery

« Reply #963 on: January 13, 2017, 11:30:39 am »
Thanks for sharing all this great information. Most, if not all of it, just makes sense to me and I'm going to incorporate it slowly into my system. So far, I've tried spunding on an AIPA and I've had encouraging results. However, my wife gets bad headaches from sulfites in wine and, since stopping the use of SMB in my homemade wines, her wine-related headaches have ceased. She enjoys my beer as well and so I'd prefer to not add sulfates to it. Are you aware of any possible substitute to SMB in the mash for scavenging oxygen?

For sure!
Well you are in luck cause we get to boil beer, which does help get rid of some of those sulfites. I would recommend you cut you SMB dosage with Ascorbic acid 50/50 and give it a whirl!

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #964 on: January 13, 2017, 11:51:38 am »
I'll try that. Worse case scenario, more beer for me! At least short term anyway. Any all natural solutions? Would using the antioxidant properties of say, hops in the mash have any potential benefits?

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #965 on: January 13, 2017, 12:10:52 pm »
Mash hopping is certainly a thing. So is first wort hopping. Both likely have some antioxidant power.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #966 on: January 13, 2017, 12:13:02 pm »
Mash hopping is certainly a thing. So is first wort hopping. Both likely have some antioxidant power.

Another option, especially if you are an ale brewer, is to try ascorbic on its own or cut ascorbic with a bare minimum of SMB.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #967 on: January 13, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »

Right. And perhaps lodo could give some legitimacy to mash hopping!

The Beerery

« Reply #968 on: January 13, 2017, 12:42:44 pm »
I'll try that. Worse case scenario, more beer for me! At least short term anyway. Any all natural solutions? Would using the antioxidant properties of say, hops in the mash have any potential benefits?

All those things are all natural ;)

Mash hopping is a thing, but it's not the magic bullet. You can always purge everything with nitrogen, and mash under a nitrogen blanket.  8)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #969 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:26 pm »

Explain, please?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #970 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:51 pm »

All those things are all natural ;)

Mash hopping is a thing, but it's not the magic bullet. You can always purge everything with nitrogen, and mash under a nitrogen blanket.  8)

SMB/AA it is,then! Although I fully expect further innovation as this LODO thing gains traction! Thanks again!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #971 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:17 pm »

Another option, especially if you are an ale brewer, is to try ascorbic on its own or cut ascorbic with a bare minimum of SMB.

I spent a year working with ascorbic acid and found that it did nothing for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #972 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:49 pm »

Did you use a DO-meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #973 on: January 13, 2017, 12:56:10 pm »

Explain, please?

Hops contain antioxidants. So does malt naturally as well.

The Beerery

« Reply #974 on: January 13, 2017, 12:57:38 pm »

Not preboiling/deoxygenating the water before you use it in the mash (like your SMB trials from long ago) use up all the antioxidant properties immediately trying to get rid of the oxygen in the water. So you will see absolutely zero benefit from it.