Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190085 times)

The Beerery

Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #975 on: January 13, 2017, 01:01:25 pm »
I'll try that. Worse case scenario, more beer for me! At least short term anyway. Any all natural solutions? Would using the antioxidant properties of say, hops in the mash have any potential benefits?

All those things are all natural ;)

Mash hopping is a thing, but it's not the magic bullet. You can always purge everything with nitrogen, and mash under a nitrogen blanket.  8)

SMB/AA it is,then! Although I fully expect further innovation as this LODO thing gains traction! Thanks again!

Please do check out the site if you haven't already. I have tried to make as easy as it possibly is to start out.  I have tried nearly everything you can in regards to low oxygen brewing!

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #976 on: January 13, 2017, 02:23:59 pm »
I'll try that. Worse case scenario, more beer for me! At least short term anyway. Any all natural solutions? Would using the antioxidant properties of say, hops in the mash have any potential benefits?

All those things are all natural ;)

Mash hopping is a thing, but it's not the magic bullet. You can always purge everything with nitrogen, and mash under a nitrogen blanket.  8)

SMB/AA it is,then! Although I fully expect further innovation as this LODO thing gains traction! Thanks again!

Please do check out the site if you haven't already. I have tried to make as easy as it possibly is to start out.  I have tried nearly everything you can in regards to low oxygen brewing!
Yup, I've been all over your site, devouring the information. It's absolutely amazing to me that someone would take all that hard won information and then put in all the hard work just to make it accessible to everyone for free, and then continue to put the time in to personally help people while taking crap from all the naysayers. The whole LODO thing might be 90% BS(I don't believe it is), but even the remaining 10% is gold. Even if I never brew full LODO(I will), I have no doubt the nuggets I pick up from you will make me a better brewer. I say that as I sample a spunded IPA with lovely, fine carbonation and a fresh, bright hop character that has been elusive to me in the past. You and Monk are all stars in my book! Cheers!

The Beerery

« Reply #977 on: January 13, 2017, 02:33:11 pm »
Thanks for the kind words! 
Naysayers don't bother me. Soon enough you will see more converts than naysayers! 
It's in my nature to continually push and tweak.
There is still a ton of stuff out there to test and try.

Sneak peak of one I have been working on today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #978 on: January 13, 2017, 02:39:20 pm »
Vacuum/purging doohickey?

Offline bjanat

• Cellarman
« Reply #979 on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:37 pm »
Sneak peak of one I have been working on today.

Something like this? https://youtu.be/ORAu5o7QnFs

The Beerery

« Reply #980 on: January 16, 2017, 09:00:43 am »
New blog post today with the above mention...

Low Oxygen Bottling

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #981 on: January 17, 2017, 10:57:28 am »
I would recommend you cut you SMB dosage with Ascorbic acid 50/50 and give it a whirl!

Given that preboiling all brew water to reduce/eliminate oxygen in the water would be done.

Am I understanding this correctly to say that if I currently use a 50mg/l SMB dosage right now and would like to reduce it, then I could cut that in half and make up the rest with Ascorbic Acid to gain approximately the same antioxidant protection (25 mg/l SMB + 25 mg/l AA)? Or is there a more ideal ratio to use if I'm not trying to minimize SMB?

Another question along the same lines is: From your perspective, is the use of AA+SMB without the use of BrewtanB worthwhile?  Or would SMB alone be preferable without the AA if I don't have BB on hand?

The Beerery

« Reply #982 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:29 am »
I would recommend you cut you SMB dosage with Ascorbic acid 50/50 and give it a whirl!

Given that preboiling all brew water to reduce/eliminate oxygen in the water would be done.

Am I understanding this correctly to say that if I currently use a 50mg/l SMB dosage right now and would like to reduce it, then I could cut that in half and make up the rest with Ascorbic Acid to gain approximately the same antioxidant protection (25 mg/l SMB + 25 mg/l AA)? Or is there a more ideal ratio to use if I'm not trying to minimize SMB?

Another question along the same lines is: From your perspective, is the use of AA+SMB without the use of BrewtanB worthwhile?  Or would SMB alone be preferable without the AA if I don't have BB on hand?

You could definitely play with cutting at 50/50. Sensory analysis will be your best bet to see if it works for you.
I would say its worthwhile to play around with .

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #983 on: January 17, 2017, 12:49:07 pm »

You could definitely play with cutting at 50/50. Sensory analysis will be your best bet to see if it works for you.
I would say its worthwhile to play around with .

Very appropriate answer, thank you. This gives me a starting point from which to begin with AA included.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #984 on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:23 pm »
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere, but I can't find it. Where can I find Brewtan B?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #985 on: January 17, 2017, 04:36:29 pm »
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere, but I can't find it. Where can I find Brewtan B?
Not easily available to homebrewers here. Many ordered it from Australia.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #986 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:24 pm »

Check out Ibrew in Australia. Shipping is expensive, but if you order a few packs it becomes more feasible.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #987 on: January 17, 2017, 04:48:20 pm »

http://www.ibrew.com.au/products/brewtan-b

As said, it comes from Australia as of now. I've ordered it from them a couple times. Expect a little over 2 weeks delivery
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:51:23 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #988 on: January 17, 2017, 05:08:39 pm »
Thank you!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #989 on: January 18, 2017, 05:20:05 pm »

http://www.ibrew.com.au/products/brewtan-b

As said, it comes from Australia as of now. I've ordered it from them a couple times. Expect a little over 2 weeks delivery

Providing your financial institute doesn't halt the payment in lieu of potential identity theft from purchasing something from a strange country.... :o