Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing  (Read 190160 times)

The Beerery

Re: Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #990 on: January 23, 2017, 07:54:41 am »
Updated Blog entry on Low oxygen filling, after the 1 week test, and some tweaks to the filler.

Here

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #991 on: January 23, 2017, 08:06:27 am »
Updated Blog entry on Low oxygen filling, after the 1 week test, and some tweaks to the filler.

Here

That's pretty impressive. I'll be curious to see how the shelf life holds out.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #992 on: January 23, 2017, 08:10:28 am »

Here

Goal is 9 months with brewery grade freshness. Right now it shows that with the methods I used I did not pickup any detectable (via sensory, sulfite strips and DO) oxygen. So I am only fighting off cap ingress. It should be doable.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:19:45 am by The Beerery »

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #993 on: January 23, 2017, 04:56:33 pm »
Very cool. Would love to figure that out for bottling for comps. Or at least some variant of it.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #994 on: January 23, 2017, 07:27:49 pm »

Here

Agreed, very cool.
Jesse

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #995 on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:30 pm »
Interesting bottle filling stuff.

I have a question about using a slightly different technique.  What about filling the bottle with sanitizer and then putting your counter pressure filler on there and filling from the top port (the ring just below the stopper) with CO2, pushing all the sanitizer out through the wand/bottom port.  Once it has blown all the sanitizer out and is just pushing CO2, turn the 3 way valve to beer and start filling in the beer.  That would basically be the same technique used for a keg, just on a bottle scale.  I think you could do it with that counter pressure filler and remove the need for a vacuum pump (for those of us that don't have a pump handy). 

Thoughts?

Edit:  Thinking about it a bit more, the convex bottom of the bottle would mean you would get a little sanitizer stuck down around there that wouldn't blow out, though maybe that could be worked around.  Maybe having a bent tube that goes to a bottom corner of the bottle and you just have to tip it to get all the sanitizer out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:03:58 pm by natebrews »
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

The Beerery

« Reply #996 on: January 24, 2017, 06:45:03 am »
Interesting bottle filling stuff.

I have a question about using a slightly different technique.  What about filling the bottle with sanitizer and then putting your counter pressure filler on there and filling from the top port (the ring just below the stopper) with CO2, pushing all the sanitizer out through the wand/bottom port.  Once it has blown all the sanitizer out and is just pushing CO2, turn the 3 way valve to beer and start filling in the beer.  That would basically be the same technique used for a keg, just on a bottle scale.  I think you could do it with that counter pressure filler and remove the need for a vacuum pump (for those of us that don't have a pump handy). 

Thoughts?

Edit:  Thinking about it a bit more, the convex bottom of the bottle would mean you would get a little sanitizer stuck down around there that wouldn't blow out, though maybe that could be worked around.  Maybe having a bent tube that goes to a bottom corner of the bottle and you just have to tip it to get all the sanitizer out.

It may work, but in all honesty a vacuum pump is like $50 on amazon. You have to remember we use that sani-push/purge as a means for active yeast scavenging. That method is not good enough for finished beer.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Introduction to Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #997 on: January 24, 2017, 07:03:43 am »
I'm also curious how it compares to something like a beer gun.  Do you have any measured data on how bad the results are for those "blow purge" and fill systems?

The Beerery

« Reply #998 on: January 24, 2017, 07:44:34 am »
I'm also curious how it compares to something like a beer gun.  Do you have any measured data on how bad the results are for those "blow purge" and fill systems?

I do, beer gun is at about .4-.6ppm DO. Maximum Bottling limit is .15ppm. At that rate(.4-.6) you will see oxidation results in about a week or less.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #999 on: January 24, 2017, 07:45:44 am »
Thanks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1000 on: January 24, 2017, 07:46:47 am »

I do, beer gun is at about .4-.6ppm DO. Maximum Bottling limit is .15ppm. At that rate(.4-.6) you will see oxidation results in about a week or less.

Bryan, I'm pretty sure I've asked, but that is even with purging the bottles thoroughly first, right?
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #1001 on: January 24, 2017, 07:51:38 am »

Bryan, I'm pretty sure I've asked, but that is even with purging the bottles thoroughly first, right?

Yup.. "Purging" doesn't really work when its not under vacuum. Its more like "gas mixing", and the higher the pressure the more the mixing.. I forget the exact amount but even when purging a keg like 25x will still leave you with .4ppm or so.

The Beerery

« Reply #1002 on: January 24, 2017, 07:53:22 am »
Did some more playing last night, trying to get the perfect fill. I am really close now.

Filler 3.0

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #1003 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:53 am »

Yup.. "Purging" doesn't really work when its not under vacuum. Its more like "gas mixing", and the higher the pressure the more the mixing.. I forget the exact amount but even when purging a keg like 25x will still leave you with .4ppm or so.

Agreed! Gases don't behave like "blankets". Well, maybe in certain situations they do for a short period of time, but definitely not in this case.

Bryan, do you plan to post a parts list (sorry if you did and I missed it)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #1004 on: January 24, 2017, 10:14:43 am »
Hey Bryan, have you thought about doing this in a filter housing? That way it might minimize any stresses on the glass. I have had (apparently cheap) wine bottles implode on me when vac filling and the filter plugged up. It wasn't a whole lot of vacuum but enough stress the bottle walls. The filter housing would allow you to equalize the pressure inside and outside the bottle. Of course, it might be problematic to remove the housing to cap...
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<