Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finkel & Garf Oatmeal Milk Stout OG too high  (Read 2517 times)

Offline AnimalChin

• 1st Kit
Finkel & Garf Oatmeal Milk Stout OG too high
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:52:49 am »
Anyone out there brewing the Finkel & Garf Oatmeal Milk Stout from the recent Zymurgy? I brewed it yesterday and hit the initial target gravity of around 1.056 (using Brewcipher) but I went a bit overboard with the 1.5lbs of lactose addition - I threw in about 1.8lbs or so (not smart - I wanted a thick rich stout but should've just followed the directions). Anyway, I had about 7 gallons of wort for a 90min boil which brought me down around 5.75 gallons. After I chilled this wort down to about 70F my gravity reading was 1.080. It was meant to be at 1.070. I think the majority of this was due to going overboard on the lactose.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this might turn out? I'm guessing it'll be sweeter than it should be but I wonder by how much. Assuming the yeast does its job, is 1.080 vs 1.070 a huge difference? Thanks for any insight! I built up a pretty healthy starter and the yeast took off quick which was nice to see!

Right after pitching yeast:

After 12 hours:

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Re: Finkel & Garf Oatmeal Milk Stout OG too high
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:38:59 pm »
I brewed it according to the recipe using Beersmith to adjust to my brewhouse efficiency.  My OG/FG was 1.070/1.023 and it's a fantastic beer.  You'll get a higher FG with all that lactose and it will be a little sweeter.  It should be tasty.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline AnimalChin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 10:19:24 am »
rob_f, thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to it! I'll try to report back with results in a few weeks.

Offline AnimalChin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 12:03:03 pm »
Update! Took a few readings and actually ended up at 1.030. Not sure how as I had a post boil (chilled) gravity of 1.080. I'm not complaining. Drank the sample and it tasted real nice. Gently sweet, smooth with nice touches of chocolate. Real excited. Carbing up now at 9psi on my system for about 2.2 volumes. In about a week or so I'll post a pic of a pint!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:53:41 pm »
Update! Took a few readings and actually ended up at 1.030. Not sure how as I had a post boil (chilled) gravity of 1.080. I'm not complaining. Drank the sample and it tasted real nice. Gently sweet, smooth with nice touches of chocolate. Real excited. Carbing up now at 9psi on my system for about 2.2 volumes. In about a week or so I'll post a pic of a pint!

Sounds like it will be great and perfect for cooler weather.

Offline AnimalChin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:13:20 pm »
Well, here it is. It turned out great! A bit sweeter than it should be but still enjoying it a lot. Perfect with dessert after dinner. Thanks for all the tips!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »
Looks delicious!  Especially with that dessert. Well done!

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:32 pm »
You know, I have to wonder about how many problems are created by brewers when they try a recipe for the first time, and before they even brew it they decide to change it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk