Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Which ale yeast for an english mild?  (Read 4562 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Re: Which ale yeast for an english mild?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 01:08:36 pm »
I agree, the 4 oz each chocolate and roasted barley together would make it more like a porter.

Well after reading the porter section just now, I guess it may be considered that... depending on how roasty I want it... hm.....

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 01:12:46 pm »
I agree, the 4 oz each chocolate and roasted barley together would make it more like a porter.

I was going off the BJCP guidelines I found online and toasted/ roasted is one of the descriptors they use for milds.

"Flavor: Generally a malty beer, although may have a very wide range of malt- and yeast-based flavors (e.g., malty, sweet, caramel, toffee, toast, nutty, chocolate, coffee, roast, vinous, fruit, licorice, molasses, plum, raisin). Can finish sweet or dry. Versions with darker malts may have a dry, roasted finish. Low to moderate bitterness, enough to provide some balance but not enough to overpower the malt. Fruity esters moderate to none. Diacetyl and hop flavor low to none. "

There are degrees of roast, though. Look, I'm sure it will be a good beer - that might be mistaken for a porter. Nothing wrong with that. Personally I'd lean more to malts like the Maris Otter, the torrefied, with crystal 80 and some crystal 60, and use 2 or 3 oz of roasted barley. But you're right, there is room for interpretation.
Jon H.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 01:20:55 pm »

I was going off the BJCP guidelines I found online and toasted/ roasted is one of the descriptors they use for milds.

"Flavor: Generally a malty beer, although may have a very wide range of malt- and yeast-based flavors (e.g., malty, sweet, caramel, toffee, toast, nutty, chocolate, coffee, roast, vinous, fruit, licorice, molasses, plum, raisin). Can finish sweet or dry. Versions with darker malts may have a dry, roasted finish. Low to moderate bitterness, enough to provide some balance but not enough to overpower the malt. Fruity esters moderate to none. Diacetyl and hop flavor low to none. "

There are degrees of roast, though. Look, I'm sure it will be a good beer - that might be mistaken for a porter. Nothing wrong with that. Personally I'd lean more to malts like the Maris Otter, the torrefied, with crystal 80 and some crystal 60, and use 2 or 3 oz of roasted barley. But you're right, there is room for interpretation.

Not trying to ruffle feathers! Im a newbie! I just like hearing stuff from those who are more experienced than myself! :P

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 01:25:09 pm »

Not trying to ruffle feathers! Im a newbie! I just like hearing stuff from those who are more experienced than myself! :P

No issue at all, man! Just throwing $0.02 out there.
Jon H.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 01:39:11 pm »

No issue at all, man! Just throwing $0.02 out there.

Ill take as many pennies as you can throw!

Offline OTIST

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:24 pm »
A little Special Roast malt is a great way to get a touch of roasted flavor in Mild.  Brown malt.  Brown malt.  I was thinking brown malt and wrote Special Roast.  I made a great mild recently with Breiss Ashburne Mild base malt, some Brown and a bit o' crystal.  turned out great
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:10:54 pm by OTIST »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:31 pm »
What about some pale chocolate malt in place of the RB and chocolate? Maybe 6 oz total.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 02:28:29 pm »
I love 1469 in all of my English ales.   I made a delicious mild with it. 

I would also try to use the English versions of the crystal malts if possible.  Not a must as the American ones work well too. 
Brian
mobrewer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »
I love 1469 in all of my English ales.   I made a delicious mild with it. 

I would also try to use the English versions of the crystal malts if possible.  Not a must as the American ones work well too.

Agreed. I really like the English crystal malts in english styles too. A bit fuller, rounder IMO.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 07:13:00 am »
I ended up going with 4oz chocolate, 4 oz c60, 2 oz RB. the yeast they had was 13 so I went with that as well. I will post back to let you guys know how it turns out!