Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian stout with raspberries  (Read 4563 times)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
Re: Belgian stout with raspberries
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 07:01:41 am »
I'll have to stick with the 3787 Trappist High Gravity as that is what I purchased and made a 3L starter of. Hopefully it works out! Brewing this Friday. Will update everyone!
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24:53 pm »
If I were going to try something like that I'd go with a Witbier yeast.  The phenolics are tamer and the esters will complement it a little more, I think.

my .02 cents

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:56 am »
I racked this onto 5lbs of frozen raspberries in a paint strainer bag on Friday. Figure I'll let it age on these for about a week and then keg. Praying for no infection, I always worry when using fruit. I'll update with tasting notes.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
BJCP B1408

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 04:28:44 pm »
I racked this onto 5lbs of frozen raspberries in a paint strainer bag on Friday. Figure I'll let it age on these for about a week and then keg. Praying for no infection, I always worry when using fruit. I'll update with tasting notes.

You may want to give the fruit a bit more time in the beer to be sure you get maximum extraction. I would suggest a total of 2 wks.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 08:11:14 pm »
This is a good one...change out the BBs with Raspberries...I'm doing blueberries next time...

http://lovebeerlovefood.com/the-bearded-lady-award-winning-blackberry-stout-recipe/
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 03:53:53 am »
This is a good one...change out the BBs with Raspberries...I'm doing blueberries next time...

http://lovebeerlovefood.com/the-bearded-lady-award-winning-blackberry-stout-recipe/

This sounds good... really good.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 12:48:25 pm »

That sounds great. Similar ish to my recipe in this thread.

So an update 6 days on the raspberries. Fermentation kicked back in about 2 days in, lots of foam and bubbles on the top of the beer. Of course I first freak out figuring it's infected, but it's looking good so far.

I'll sample it tomorrow and see how much raspberry flavor has set in and then make a kegging decision based upon that.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
BJCP B1408