Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold crashing with Ss Brew Bucket?  (Read 6118 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Cold crashing with Ss Brew Bucket?
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:40 pm »
How does one go about this without introducing oxygen or creating a vacuum? It might be an impossible question, but hopefully someone out there has a good method.
Thanks for any help!

The Beerery

Re: Cold crashing with Ss Brew Bucket?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:27:40 pm »
As the owner of a few of these the answer is one doesn't.  :(

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 01:46:02 pm »
How do you personally cold crash (if you do)?

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:50:29 pm »
How do you personally cold crash (if you do)?
I do not.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:24 pm »
This is what I did: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20241.msg258272#msg258272

You could supplement what I do by pumping in more CO2 as the temperature drops to keep it under positive pressure. 

My experience has been that after the initial fill with CO2, it will hold a vacuum as the wort contracts which can then be broken on the day you transfer by adding more CO2.  Don't forget to break the vacuum before you open the ball valve or a bunch of air will get sucked in.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:52:32 am »
I, too, have stopped cold crashing for fear of introducing oxygen. I just rack to a keg that's been flushed with CO2, hook up the gas, and "cold crash" in the kegerator. Wait a week or two, then discard the first 8 oz.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 07:16:14 am »
I recently added a gas post to my Blichmann conical and I have to say it works beautifully!  I just connect my CO2 tank with the regulator at zero pressure and then dial in a teeny bit of pressure. No suckback when I drain the fermenter. My blowoff tube allows me to have somewhere on the order of a foot of water column on it, so I can pressurize the fermenter occassionally without having suckback.

Search for "gas ball lock bulkhead post" on Ebay to find plenty.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 12:14:54 pm »
I decided to email support at SSBrewtech and this was their response.

Gordon,

This happens with all air tight fermenters, as the liquid cools it contracts, so it can draw in outside air or in this case sanitizer.  I would recommend going to an airlock or bubbler during crash cooling, that way just air and not sanitizer get drawn into your Bucket.

No need to worry about oxidation, there is still the protective blanket of CO2 on top of the beer.  Thanks!

Cheers,

Michael

So basically what he is suggesting is to use the typical three piece air-lock with no liquid inside.  I will try this with my next batch and see how it goes.  I typically use a blow-off tube for the first three days and then move to the airlock after the first big push.

The Beerery

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 12:44:55 pm »

Gordon,

This happens with all air tight fermenters, as the liquid cools it contracts, so it can draw in outside air or in this case sanitizer.  I would recommend going to an airlock or bubbler during crash cooling, that way just air and not sanitizer get drawn into your Bucket.

No need to worry about oxidation, there is still the protective blanket of CO2 on top of the beer.  Thanks!

Cheers,

Michael

So basically what he is suggesting is to use the typical three piece air-lock with no liquid inside.  I will try this with my next batch and see how it goes.  I typically use a blow-off tube for the first three days and then move to the airlock after the first big push.

YIKES, I would ask him for his DO reading to confirm that! You won't catch me doing that!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 01:18:31 pm »

Gordon,

Cheers,

Michael

YIKES, I would ask him for his DO reading to confirm that! You won't catch me doing that!

Yes, thinking that there will be a layer of CO2 protecting the beer is silly and unscientific.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline techbrau

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 03:00:03 pm »

Gordon,

Cheers,

Michael

Yes, thinking that there will be a layer of CO2 protecting the beer is silly and unscientific.

Indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLPBnhOCjM

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 05:26:35 pm »

Gordon,

Cheers,

Michael

Agreed. Why would you want to suck in air into the fermenter? What kind of response is that?

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:47:57 pm »
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 06:42:14 am »

Gordon,

Cheers,

Michael

Indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLPBnhOCjM

There are YouTube videos showing how you can pour CO2 from a container, into another container and a candle will go out. Some think that this is due to no O2. One should not reach the conclusion that it is no O2, as combustion will not be sustained when the CO2 concentration is around 10%. I sat through many safety videos over the years that went over the dangers of gases pooling in confined spaces.

As an aside, if you ever see a video of a brewer going into a cellar with a candle, it may have been for light, but if the candle goes out, the brewer would know to turn around and get out! That clicked when watching the introductory video on the PU tour.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!