Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Oxygen Brewing Sheet  (Read 13420 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Low Oxygen Brewing Sheet
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 10:42:39 am »
what are greek character (pi? nu?) mash and greek character (pi? nu?) brewhouse? Same as Beersmith Est Mash Eff (98 here, don't know why) and BH efficiency (70 here)?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Big Monk

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 11:17:34 am »
Yes η is typically used in technical applications for efficiency.

Big Monk

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 06:23:11 pm »
what are greek character (pi? nu?) mash and greek character (pi? nu?) brewhouse? Same as Beersmith Est Mash Eff (98 here, don't know why) and BH efficiency (70 here)?

98% mash efficiency?

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 05:50:29 am »
98% mash efficiency?

Never mind, it's a number that BS generates after you have brewed and have entered some actual numbers.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Big Monk

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 07:26:37 am »
I revised the spreadsheet to add back sparge water calculations and wrote a quick little writeup at the site detailing it:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/how-to-sparge-with-the-low-oxygen-brewing-spreadsheet/

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 07:19:12 pm »
So, I am missing something on the spreadsheet (well many things), how are we adjusting malt ph's? Is it supposed to calculate off target OG or known %s? Think I am looking at from the wrong angle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Big Monk

Low Oxygen Brewing Sheet
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 07:38:15 pm »
So, I am missing something on the spreadsheet (well many things), how are we adjusting malt ph's? Is it supposed to calculate off target OG or known %s? Think I am looking at from the wrong angle.

As for malt pH, you need to remove all pH altering substances, set the malt to 100% of the grain bill and then enter an override value that gives you the distilled water pH of the malt.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:03:39 pm by Big Monk »

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 08:45:17 pm »

As for malt pH, you need to remove all pH altering substances, set the malt to 100% of the grain bill and then enter an override value that gives you the distilled water pH of the malt.

So this override is adjusting the L to get to the predicted mash ph? Or is the ph entered somewhere?   

Big Monk

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 08:55:55 pm »

So this override is adjusting the L to get to the predicted mash ph? Or is the ph entered somewhere?

You are manually inputting this number to manipulate the estimated pH. It's a hot labor intensive but essentially identical to the way you do it in BW, except that beer color isn't subsequently affected.

The next revision of the spreadsheet that I  am working on is an attempt to divorce the base Malts from the DeLange/Kai color type calcs.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:36 pm »

You are manually inputting this number to manipulate the estimated pH. It's a hot labor intensive but essentially identical to the way you do it in BW, except that beer color isn't subsequently affected.

The next revision of the spreadsheet that I  am working on is an attempt to divorce the base Malts from the DeLange/Kai color type calcs.
As I increase the L(ph) my predicted mash ph actually goes up.

Big Monk

Low Oxygen Brewing Sheet
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2017, 09:02:22 pm »

Right. Increasing the value makes your pH more basic, decreasing more acidic.

Say you have Weyermann Pils with 5.9 pH. You want to increase the malt override. That way you need more acid to get to your desired pH.

You have to remember that BW assumes 5.75 pH as a baseline. Anything above or below that requires some adjustment.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:12:35 pm by Big Monk »

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 09:17:32 pm »

Say you have Weyermann Pils with 5.9 pH. You want to increase the malt override. That way you need more acid to get to your desired pH.

You have to remember that BW assumes 5.75 pH as a baseline. Anything above or below that requires some adjustment.
So a ph of 5.9 would need to be adjusted to 8.5? What about a low ph say 5.5? Can't seem adjust it out.

Big Monk

Low Oxygen Brewing Sheet
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 09:18:48 pm »

So a ph of 5.9 would need to be adjusted to 8.5? What about a low ph say 5.5? Can't seem adjust it out.

You want to go negative for more acidic pH.

Bryan and I use a custom version of the sheet that was designed for his use in The Beerery. I also have a streamlined version that I call the "BLAM" edition specifically for Trappist beers.

I believe what I'm going to do is revise a stripped down version for general use that keeps all the really good Low Oxygen stuff and integrated water stuff but removes some of the unnecessary bits and makes it easier to use.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:24:37 pm by Big Monk »

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2017, 09:29:19 pm »

Bryan and I use a custom version of the sheet that was designed for his use in The Beerery. I also have a streamlined version that I call the "BLAM" edition specifically for Trappist beers.

I believe what I'm going to do is revise a stripped down version for general use that keeps all the really good Low Oxygen stuff and integrated water stuff but removes some of the unnecessary bits and makes it easier to use.
How about setting the targeted gravity? It seems to only want to calculate by efficiency.

Big Monk

Low Oxygen Brewing Sheet
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017, 09:30:57 pm »

How about setting the targeted gravity? It seems to only want to calculate by efficiency.

That's correct. PBG is set by mash η and OG by Brewhouse η.

Blue-ish cells are user inputs. Pinkish cells are calculated. Maroon are dropdowns.