Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Did NB sell out?  (Read 12847 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Did NB sell out?
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2016, 11:15:48 am »
Then the distribution needs to change so they can't be as large in the distribution world. But that is a different tough conversation. Is self distribution and independent the only allowed model? What about breweries like Stone that distribute other small guys?

None of this is as cut and dry as people think. There are a thousand shades of gray.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2016, 11:30:57 am »
opinions:  Am I supporting AB-Inbev if I finally use up the several Northern Brewer gift cards I've won as competition prizes (it's the only thing I've won more often than my 5 Beer Guns)   ;D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2016, 11:51:36 am »
opinions:  Am I supporting AB-Inbev if I finally use up the several Northern Brewer gift cards I've won as competition prizes (it's the only thing I've won more often than my 5 Beer Guns)   ;D
You could build a DIY bottling line with that many.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jwhancher

• 1st Kit
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »
I'm surprised no one has stated the obvious yet: Who cares?

I think you're missing the pint many people have.  It's not a "purist" thing.  Personally I couldn't care less what what people drink or who makes it.  The real issue is control of the distribution chain, which is the problem that has started surfacing with AB buying up breweries.

Denny is right. There's a serious concern for distribution control. 
http://www.investopedia.com/stock-analysis/101916/ab-inbev-found-another-way-dominate-homebrew-bud.aspx

I also think that ZX Ventures acquired Northern Brewer for reasons of business analytics and data mining.  Right from ZX's website:

"Underpinning everything we do is data. In order to create the future we need to understand what has (and hasn’t worked) in the past. We are hopelessly dedicated to mining insights and innovation using the latest technology and trends available. The more we know about our consumers and products, the better chance we have of anticipating their needs in the future."

AB InBev are no dummies and I doubt neither is ZX.  They're probably getting their staff of Ivy League MBAs and engineers to run the same statistical models to figure out consumer preferences just like Amazon, the top online retailer.

".....this forecasting model uses data from your prior Amazon activity, including time on site, duration of views, links clicked and hovered over, shopping cart activity and wish lists. When possible, the algorithm also sprinkles in real-world information gleaned from customer telephone inquiries and responses to marketing materials, among other factors. "

http://www.predictiveanalyticsworld.com/patimes/amazon-knows-what-you-want-before-you-buy-it/3185/

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2016, 04:07:37 pm »

Use 'em up. Take that free merchandise.   :)
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2016, 04:34:48 am »
I'm surprised no one has stated the obvious yet: Who cares?

This obsession people have to rail against macro brewing is monotonous and boring.

I think you're missing the pint many people have.  It's not a "purist" thing.  Personally I couldn't care less what what people drink or who makes it.  The real issue is control of the distribution chain, which is the problem that has started surfacing with AB buying up breweries.

I have to concede here that my original comment may have been reactionary and short sighted. Many of my subsequent comments were more in jest than anything else.

I will say that I may have a unique situation in that I have not personally seen any disruption in the distribution of quality commercial beers that I enjoy. I live in Central NY and the Wegmans chain of grocery stores serves as my Beer and Discount for 75% of my needs.

With that said, I have many styles and companies available to me that others don't. I typically have my pick of the many local CNY breweries, macro NA and Continental, West Coast beers etc. Just last week I left the store with fresh Ommegang, Beck's, Bitburger cans, Old Rasputin and Westmalle Tripel. So the heart of this matter and why it is important to others may be lost on me.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2016, 03:11:52 pm »

You won them before they sold out. You get a pass.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2016, 09:52:54 am »

They already have the money for the cards so not using them would only hurt you.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2016, 10:31:12 am »
My tinfoil hat reaction is that AB plans to buy up as much homebrew material as possible to choke hold small home brew stores. Maybe it's not that easy.  When I worked in transportation engineering I knew of one contractor in the area that would rent as much equipment as possible for as long as possible.  It forced other contractors to use them as a subcontractor if they needed certain equipment.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2016, 11:30:21 am »
My tinfoil hat reaction is that AB plans to buy up as much homebrew material as possible to choke hold small home brew stores. Maybe it's not that easy.  When I worked in transportation engineering I knew of one contractor in the area that would rent as much equipment as possible for as long as possible.  It forced other contractors to use them as a subcontractor if they needed certain equipment.

I'm pretty sure that's not gonna be possible.  And what good would it do them if they did?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »
Yawn.

I'll second Jeff's comment about AiH.  They're my go to on line these days.  And Williams.

But I'd rather shop local.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2016, 03:55:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's not gonna be possible.  And what good would it do them if they did?

Hence the "tinfoil hat" comment.  It is a wild conspiracy theory that is obviously something I don't take seriously.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2016, 09:24:42 pm »
Well, in West-Central MN, NB and Midwest are my closest options for a full-service brewshop, so they've always been my go-to suppliers.  I typically make a couple trips to the cities each year to visit my sisters, and make it a point to hit the brewshop for about 6 months worth of batches.  They've always served me well. 

My mom is down there this weekend and so I'm having her pick me up some S-189 and Cotes des Blanc yeast for some cider.  I guess that as long as I can get the vast selection of supplies and ingredients that I need for decent prices and excellent customer service, I'll keep shopping with these guys.  I don't spend a damn cent on BMC beer, and I stretch my brewing penny as far as I can too, so I guess my buying power won't make or break InBev. 

This has been an interesting thread to read, for sure.  The market research aspect is kind of crazy to think about.  You fellas think of all the angles.