Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: same wort different yeast  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
same wort different yeast
« on: March 01, 2018, 01:47:39 pm »
I want to share my latest experiment with you all. 

Every month our HB club holds a competition and meeting.  Each competition has a select style or styles that we brew for and this coming meeting is session saisons, dunklewiezen and abbey single.  I figured I would take advantage of the low gravity and brew a 10 gallon batch and split into two fermentors and pitch different yeasts. 

Grain bill:
15# Pilsen
2# Vienna
.25 # Victory
.5 # c-15

Hops:

Magnum (13.2% AA) .25 oz FW with a 90 minute boil
Sorachi Ace (9.1% AA) 1 oz 20 minutes
Crystal (3% AA) 1 oz 20 min
sorachi ace (9.1% AA) 5 min
crystal (3% AA) 5 min

Mashed in with 23 qt of 162F water. 10g cacl and 15g gypsum stirred into grist. Tried to hit 150 as mash temp but it was cold as hell out and I got 148F.  Mash pH was 5.54 (a bit to high for my liking!) Rest for 1 hour.  sparge with 30 qt water 172F, after having boiled and cooled. brought kettle to 11 gallon.

Boiled for 90 min and cooled to 72F. wort pH was 5.66 and OG was 1.048. final kettle volume 10.5 gallons

Pitched Belle Saison from lallemond and BE-256 from fermentis straight into fermentor with out rehydrate.

Allowed both to sit in non temp controlled closet (temp range in house from 58-65) for just under 3 weeks.  Did not have space in fridge for cold crash so transfered both to kegs and will carbonate while they drop out yeast.

First thing I noticed is that belle saison strain was slower to take off and created far less krausen than the abbey strain.  the color was very different as well but it seems that as fermentation slowed that the saison strain stayed in suspension better than the abbey strain as the opacity of the two shifted. 

I just kegged today and will carbonate both to around 2.8 V/V and give tasting notes then.

Images of the initial fermentation.

This is after a week

The pictures I took on kegging day didnt turn out so good.  Here are samples pulled for testing.

Final readings:
Saison - 1.003 and 4.41 pH
Abbey - 1.007 and 4.7 pH

Fermentation at Elevation

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: same wort different yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »
Looks like the saison also has much more sediment, maybe related to Krausen Development? Which batch was the first part of the runnings?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Re: same wort different yeast
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 04:23:50 pm »
Looks like the saison also has much more sediment, maybe related to Krausen Development? Which batch was the first part of the runnings?

Those samples were taken out of the carboy after transfer.  The samples were pulled to allow them to settle before gravity was read.  Also, it was a 10 gallon boil that was split after the boil finished.  All runnings into one kettle then filled 1 gallon and transferred hose to next fermentor and back and forth every gallon. 
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
same wort different yeast
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:34:53 pm »
I want to share my latest experiment with you all. 

Every month our HB club holds a competition and meeting.  Each competition has a select style or styles that we brew for and this coming meeting is session saisons, dunklewiezen and abbey single.  I figured I would take advantage of the low gravity and brew a 10 gallon batch and split into two fermentors and pitch different yeasts. 

Grain bill:
15# Pilsen
2# Vienna
.25 # Victory
.5 # c-15

Hops:

Magnum (13.2% AA) .25 oz FW with a 90 minute boil
Sorachi Ace (9.1% AA) 1 oz 20 minutes
Crystal (3% AA) 1 oz 20 min
sorachi ace (9.1% AA) 5 min
crystal (3% AA) 5 min

Mashed in with 23 qt of 162F water. 10g cacl and 15g gypsum stirred into grist. Tried to hit 150 as mash temp but it was cold as hell out and I got 148F.  Mash pH was 5.54 (a bit to high for my liking!) Rest for 1 hour.  sparge with 30 qt water 172F, after having boiled and cooled. brought kettle to 11 gallon.

Boiled for 90 min and cooled to 72F. wort pH was 5.66 and OG was 1.048. final kettle volume 10.5 gallons

Pitched Belle Saison from lallemond and BE-256 from fermentis straight into fermentor with out rehydrate.

Allowed both to sit in non temp controlled closet (temp range in house from 58-65) for just under 3 weeks.  Did not have space in fridge for cold crash so transfered both to kegs and will carbonate while they drop out yeast.

First thing I noticed is that belle saison strain was slower to take off and created far less krausen than the abbey strain.  the color was very different as well but it seems that as fermentation slowed that the saison strain stayed in suspension better than the abbey strain as the opacity of the two shifted. 

I just kegged today and will carbonate both to around 2.8 V/V and give tasting notes then.

Images of the initial fermentation.

This is after a week

The pictures I took on kegging day didnt turn out so good.  Here are samples pulled for testing.

Final readings:
Saison - 1.003 and 4.41 pH
Abbey - 1.007 and 4.7 pH

Interesting experiment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:37:05 pm by BrewBama »