Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Polyclar Brewbrite  (Read 12733 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Polyclar Brewbrite
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 04:33:38 pm »
Definitely good stuff.  Any thoughts as a preference between potassium metabisulfite and sodium metabisulfite in terms of effectiveness or side effects/aroma/flavor issues?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

The Beerery

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 04:41:30 pm »
Brewing literature claims excess potassium in the mash is detrimental. Thats how sodium was chosen. Potassium is fine for cold side.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 07:58:52 am »
In your post on colloidal stability in the last highlighted section it says the use of vitamin C used on it's own at packaging can be detrimental. I just bottled a batch with Vitamin C only, so we should add some SMB with the V-C at packaging, what do you do? And what is dhydro -asorbic acid, and what are it's affect?
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 08:27:21 am »
+1;  I plan to fool with SMB/PMB but have not yet so no personal experience.  I have been using ascrobic acid at kegging along with PPB in boil and I have really good stability but the real test would be IPA where there is dry hopping but have not brewed one yet to test.  In my experience, PPB alone works great so long as no dry hop.  A buddy of mine tested a PA where PPB was added halfway in whirlpool and said no hop fade after 6mo.  I agree but never had a keg last that long.  An interesting side note: on another forum someone sent HT/NEIPA to Ward and the K was off the charts!  While K is normally present in beers, a few knowledgeable folks thought it was out of range and I am now seeing a correlation to higher level of K, LO brewing, and dry hopping: PMB or maybe AntioxC which has PMB. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

The Beerery

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 08:29:52 am »
.  An interesting side note: on another forum someone sent HT/NEIPA to Ward and the K was off the charts!  While K is normally present in beers, a few knowledgeable folks thought it was out of range and I am now seeing a correlation to higher level of K, LO brewing, and dry hopping: PMB or maybe AntioxC which has PMB.

Antiox-c for the win there. ;)

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 08:34:37 am »
In your post on colloidal stability in the last highlighted section it says the use of vitamin C used on it's own at packaging can be detrimental. I just bottled a batch with Vitamin C only, so we should add some SMB with the V-C at packaging, what do you do? And what is dhydro -asorbic acid, and what are it's affect?

In the packaging phase, SMB, and Ascorbic acid(AA), react differently. SMB is a fast reactant, where at AA is slow. SMB will try to quickly eat up o2, and use itself up first, once that happens and the smb is all used( say dry hopping or beer transfer), AA will hang out and try to mop up any slow ingress(say impure co2). I think the problem lies with AA alone trying to combat a large fast ingress, it will basically super oxidize itself. BUT I am by no means a chemist, so you may want to fact check that!

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 10:09:20 am »
Matches what I've learned.  To get us back to PPB, none of these O2 scavengers remove polyphenols (PP).  Only polyclar does and if your beers are a bit harsh and you think PP are the culprit, PPB will help.  In my brewing, I found a noticeable difference using PPB.  Dare I say it gives a "polish" to the beer.  While there is a reduction in bitterness, it is a reduction in the harshness of the bitterness.  The clarity is also a whole other level.  Honestly, I care less if the beer lasts longer using it (but it does).   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:35 am »

In the packaging phase, SMB, and Ascorbic acid(AA), react differently. SMB is a fast reactant, where at AA is slow. SMB will try to quickly eat up o2, and use itself up first, once that happens and the smb is all used( say dry hopping or beer transfer), AA will hang out and try to mop up any slow ingress(say impure co2). I think the problem lies with AA alone trying to combat a large fast ingress, it will basically super oxidize itself. BUT I am by no means a chemist, so you may want to fact check that!

I can honestly say that I haven't experienced any super oxidation with AA. But I've used it mostly in an attempt to protect hop aromas from oxidation in hoppy styles and feel that it definitely helps. So I'm assuming that time is the X factor as these beers obviously get consumed young and quickly. I am curious about its potential in tandem with SMB as was mentioned.

As a plug for Brewtan, I will say that there definitely seems to be a connection to improved shelf life (just anecdotal, no triangles). I medaled with a Marzen in a fairly big comp recently where I used Brewtan, and the beer was over 3 months old when judged. Granted, not over the hill by any means, but past what I would normally consider to be its absolute peak flavor. Except it tasted very fresh at that age. Gonna keep using it in tandem with some of these methods.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 08:41:58 am »
I'm going to try this today, methinks. It sounds like an avenue to cram more hop flavor into a beer before it starts to get harsh.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to this?

3 gallon batch, 6 ounces of whirlpool hops added at 170F for 60 minutes

30 min into whirlpool: add 3g Polyclar VT (rehydrated) and 1/4 tab of whirlfloc

Or should I consider more Polyclar because of the amount of hops? Is there harm in overdoing the polyclar?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 09:00:20 am »
I'm going to try this today, methinks. It sounds like an avenue to cram more hop flavor into a beer before it starts to get harsh.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to this?

3 gallon batch, 6 ounces of whirlpool hops added at 170F for 60 minutes

30 min into whirlpool: add 3g Polyclar VT (rehydrated) and 1/4 tab of whirlfloc

Or should I consider more Polyclar because of the amount of hops? Is there harm in overdoing the polyclar?

I just used some Polyclar in tandem with 1/2 whirfloc tab over the weekend (10 mins) at a rate of .5 g/gallon, ie., 2.5g for my recipe. It's at the low end of the range, so I want to start there. I used Polyclar years ago at the LHBS recommended amount which was higher (don't remember the exact dose unfortunately) and felt that it stripped away some flavor. So I want to start out at the low end and assess gradually.  I'm curious to see how it comes out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:08:03 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 09:20:06 am »

Finally, someone gets it...  Your plan sounds good since a 3G batch.  Not sure if it was mentioned but polyclar's effect is physical, so be sure and stir plenty.  I deliberately used much more a few times and found no ill effects.  I think there is a point of diminishing returns after a certain point you are just wasting it.  Best of luck! 

I too also found polyclar "stripped" flavor years ago but have come to realize I now like the effect.  To me, it removes the grassiness/vegetal/harshness of the hops.  Some could argue it takes some of the "freshness" but I digress.   Notice any better clarity in cast out wort?  Mine was substantial. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

narvin

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 09:21:41 am »
So, veering off topic, has anybody yet looked at the composition of AntioxC and the recommended dose and tried to ballpark a comparable addition of k-meta and aa?

This gives dosing info but there's no real way to know the % makeup of it.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5CCraftBrewing%5CPDFs%5CProduct_Spec_and_Data_Sheets%5CProduct_Data_Sheets/AntioxC_PI.pdf
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:29:12 am by narvin »

The Beerery

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 09:37:27 am »
So, veering off topic, has anybody yet looked at the composition of AntioxC and the recommended dose and tried to ballpark a comparable addition of k-meta and aa?

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5CCraftBrewing%5CPDFs%5CProduct_Spec_and_Data_Sheets%5CProduct_Data_Sheets/AntioxC_PI.pdf

I have, and its really cold side of the house. they make a different one for hot side.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 09:45:39 am »

Not yet, it was mentioned over at GBF that one could possibly reverse engineer using sulfite test strips.  Personally, I hope AA gets me a another week or 2 on it's own.  I am apprehensive about adding something that creates sulfur (at kegging) even tho the science is good.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

The Beerery

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 09:55:20 am »
From my trials of antiox-c along with sulfur I got a host of other off flavors. Spunding is just so much easier for me..