Author Topic: Polyclar Brewbrite  (Read 10086 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Polyclar Brewbrite
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 10:22:28 am »
So, veering off topic, has anybody yet looked at the composition of AntioxC and the recommended dose and tried to ballpark a comparable addition of k-meta and aa?

This gives dosing info but there's no real way to know the % makeup of it.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5CCraftBrewing%5CPDFs%5CProduct_Spec_and_Data_Sheets%5CProduct_Data_Sheets/AntioxC_PI.pdf

There's  a similar product called Aromax: http://www.aebafrica.co.za/antioxy/AROMAX_depliant_inglese.pdf

The Super version contains:
50% potassium pyrosulphate
35% ascorbic acid
15% gallotannins

For wine, utilization is 20 g/hl. This increases  SO2 by 54 mg/l. If we cut this in half for beer, the SMB and BTB amounts match low oxygen and BTB recommendations. So we get to 10g/hl SMB, 7g/hl AA, and 3g/hl BTB.

The regular version contains 50% SMB and 50% AA, also 20 g/hl.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline narvin

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 10:43:11 am »
From my trials of antiox-c along with sulfur I got a host of other off flavors.

That's not good.  I am a little concerned about adding SO2 causing compounds post boil.  On the other hand, wine uses much higher doses and generally has no sulfur flavor, so will probably do my own trials.

I'm looking at this mostly for dry hopped IPAs, and possibly for bottling them as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:45:46 am by narvin »

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 10:44:34 am »
Spunding makes great sense but not for IPA/dry hopping.  Cold crashing and DH on bright beer has been the largest improvement I've made in a long time to my IPA and kinda nixes it.  As of now my thoughts are basically, MAYBE adding KMB/SMB at dry hop giving it time to dissipate and AA at kegging.  Might consider sugar carbonation too.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline narvin

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 10:45:17 am »
Spunding makes great sense but not for IPA/dry hopping.  Cold crashing and DH on bright beer has been the largest improvement I've made in a long time to my IPA and kinda nixes it.  As of now my thoughts are basically, MAYBE adding KMB/SMB at dry hop giving it time to dissipate and AA at kegging.  Might consider sugar carbonation too.   

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking of.  The biggest drop-off in beer that I see is from bottling IPAs from the keg.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 10:47:38 am »
I'm a little scared of SMB at kegging as well, so I'll keep using AA at kegging along with attempts at low O2 and keep using Brewtan.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 10:51:44 am »
I'm a little scared of SMB at kegging as well, so I'll keep using AA at kegging along with attempts at low O2 and keep using Brewtan.

I'd be more scared of AA alone than smb.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »
Notice any better clarity in cast out wort?  Mine was substantial.

Definitely clearer wort today, but there was also a lot more big, fluffy trub as well - way more than Whirlfloc alone. I probably lost an extra quart more than usual to trub. No biggie, but I'll definitely plan for it next time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:50:53 pm by erockrph »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 08:36:50 am »
The theory is that when using PPB the break should settle and compact much more than typical so there is actually a gain but I am not sure that scales to us homebrewers.  I don't rack off trub and just dump it all in fermentor and never really noticed any gain or loss.  Also interesting, they have proven fermentation time is reduced (faster) when using PPB.  Main thing I notice is that it seems there is rapid maturation and beer gets in the tasty zone fairly quick.  IE usually there a period of time where an IPA is grassy...  Since the grassy polyphenols are removed via polyclar, there is no wait.  I think this also dramatically affects lagering times too. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

The Beerery

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 08:43:09 am »
The theory is that when using PPB the break should settle and compact much more than typical so there is actually a gain but I am not sure that scales to us homebrewers.  I don't rack off trub and just dump it all in fermentor and never really noticed any gain or loss.  Also interesting, they have proven fermentation time is reduced (faster) when using PPB.  Main thing I notice is that it seems there is rapid maturation and beer gets in the tasty zone fairly quick.  IE usually there a period of time where an IPA is grassy...  Since the grassy polyphenols are removed via polyclar, there is no wait.  I think this also dramatically affects lagering times too.

While this isn't PPVP related I have employed a hot trub separation and a cold trub separation for quite some time now and my beer going into the fermenter is crystal clear. I  have found this dramatically accelerates conditioning times, like by weeks. So I will agree with break materials and polyphenol removal as well..

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 08:44:45 am »
Also interesting, they have proven fermentation time is reduced (faster) when using PPB.

Funny you mention that. The APA I just brewed with my homemade Brewbrite fermented very quickly. This is a recipe I've brewed for years with the same 1056 I always use. Interesting.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 10:37:20 am »
Sounds like the perfect beer to see what happens.  Hope you guys have success with it. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

The Beerery

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 07:22:07 pm »

I'd be more scared of AA alone than smb.

Allow me to further explain, now that I can link to our site.

Ascorbic acid alone is basically poo-pooed by every technical source I have seen it in. Here are some quick references.
Kunze

Makers of commercial Antioxidants
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ANTIOXINSB.pdf

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2016, 12:54:19 pm »
All I'm finding are Polyclar VT and Polyclar 10 (not even sure if they are different).

The directions for both are to add post-fermentation, which I have no interest in.  Can either of these be used successfully in the boil?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:01:51 pm by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2016, 06:20:21 pm »
All I'm finding are Polyclar VT and Polyclar 10 (not even sure if they are different).

The directions for both are to add post-fermentation, which I have no interest in.  Can either of these be used successfully in the boil?

IIRC zwiller posted that he has made his own Brewbrite using typical LHBS Polyclar. I did the same using Polyclar 10 and 1/2 tab whirlfloc and added the mixture @ 10 mins left in the boil.
Jon H.

Offline narvin

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 06:28:22 pm »

IIRC zwiller posted that he has made his own Brewbrite using typical LHBS Polyclar. I did the same using Polyclar 10 and 1/2 tab whirlfloc and added the mixture @ 10 mins left in the boil.

Me as well.  Polyclar 10 (5g) and 1 whirlfloc tab for 12 gallons post boil. Smooth wort.