Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Chiller  (Read 1578 times)

Offline tekluska

• 1st Kit
Wort Chiller
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:29:04 am »
I placed copper wort chiller in starsan and it turned black, can I still use it or should I get new one

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Wort Chiller
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:19:35 pm »
I am assuming that you are referring to the standard copper tubing type chiller.  If so just use some PBW and soak the chiller in that for about an hour, rinse with hot water, and repeat if necessary.  It should brighten back up and be back to normal, I know because I did the same thing.   

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 01:39:06 pm »
Assuming this is an immersion chiller, why sanitize it in the first place? If it is clean to kitchen standard, just drop it in 15 min before the end of the boil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:29:16 pm »
Don't know about the black stuff, but when I bought my copper IC two years ago, I soaked it in cheap white vinegar for an hour.  Came out bright and shiny.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:18:23 am »
In my experience, star san polishes copper. One of my main reasons for still using star san is that it'll help keep mineral deposits from forming in my Therminator, which is always bright and shiny after a soak.

How long did you leave it soaking in star san?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline EThome

• Cellarman
  • Chicago SW Burb
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:23:17 pm »
Assuming this is an immersion chiller, why sanitize it in the first place? If it is clean to kitchen standard, just drop it in 15 min before the end of the boil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

+1
Just rinse it immediately after each use and next time . . . above.
Not Alien to Homebrewing

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:47:17 pm »
I periodically use steel wool to clean and brighten my copper chiller.  I bought it back in 1990, and it set unused for about 10 years.  When I got it back out to start brewing again, it had some discoloration.  Steel wool works well to clean up copper.
I agree with the other posts here:  try vinegar (I am going to now), and there is no need to sanitize it before use, just drop in in the boil about 15 minutes before end of boil.