Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mt. Rainier hops discontinued?  (Read 5500 times)

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
Mt. Rainier hops discontinued?
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:35:41 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has used Mt. Rainier hops?  I was thinking with the licorice descriptor that they would work well in a Black IPA, but it took me forever and a day to find a shop that still had them in stock.

I then contacted YCH Hops to check about this variety's availability, and found out that the variety has been discontinued.

I'm kind of sad.  I always feel alone as a lover of all things licorice, so I suppose it doesn't surprise me that a licorice-y hop like that wouldn't exactly be a top seller, but I was still looking forward to using it.

Was anyone else a fan?  I don't know how much of a voice we homebrewers have in the matter, but I'd sure like to see Mt. Rainier come back...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mt. Rainier hops discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:17:07 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has used Mt. Rainier hops?  I was thinking with the licorice descriptor that they would work well in a Black IPA, but it took me forever and a day to find a shop that still had them in stock.

I then contacted YCH Hops to check about this variety's availability, and found out that the variety has been discontinued.

I'm kind of sad.  I always feel alone as a lover of all things licorice, so I suppose it doesn't surprise me that a licorice-y hop like that wouldn't exactly be a top seller, but I was still looking forward to using it.

Was anyone else a fan?  I don't know how much of a voice we homebrewers have in the matter, but I'd sure like to see Mt. Rainier come back...

Hop growing is a business, not a public service.  If the hop growers can't make money on a hop, they won't grow it.  Obviously there wasn't enough demand to make it worth their effort.  I'm afraid that even if all the homebrewers wanted it back (and most don't care) that still wouldn't be enough to make it a viable crop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 01:52:48 pm »
what about a rhizome of mt rainer, you might be able to get ahold of some of them for sale, you may send out an email and see what it would take for you to grow some in your back yard.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 01:26:37 pm »
Yeah... I know it isn't the hop growers' job to cater to our every need.

I just wanted to express my sadness.  Didn't want this varietal to pass on unlamented.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 01:42:15 pm »
I got a bunch of free Mt. Rainer hops some years ago.  I made good beer with them, but I don't recall any licorice flavors.  I don't like licorice so I think I would have noticed.  Other than getting them free, I've never seen them and frankly I haven't missed them as I've simply used other hops.

The odd thing is, I got them from the Goose Island brewery so at least they were using them 10 or so years ago.  Dunno what they used them in or what they replaced them with.  GI alone isn't likely a big enough customer to keep someone growing them if no one else wants them.

Denny sounds cranky today.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
I got a bunch of free Mt. Rainer hops some years ago.  I made good beer with them, but I don't recall any licorice flavors.  I don't like licorice so I think I would have noticed.  Other than getting them free, I've never seen them and frankly I haven't missed them as I've simply used other hops.

The odd thing is, I got them from the Goose Island brewery so at least they were using them 10 or so years ago.  Dunno what they used them in or what they replaced them with.  GI alone isn't likely a big enough customer to keep someone growing them if no one else wants them.

Denny sounds cranky today.

I used them in a porter and I definitely got some spicy licorice aroma from them, but yeah I suppose they weren't as pungent or in your face as a lot of the newer hop varieties coming out nowadays.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 02:00:27 pm »
I used them in a porter and I definitely got some spicy licorice aroma from them, but yeah I suppose they weren't as pungent or in your face as a lot of the newer hop varieties coming out nowadays.

It's like you answered your own question...  http://www.hops.com.au/products/ella-  The reviews I saw look pretty good too. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »

It's like you answered your own question...  http://www.hops.com.au/products/ella-  The reviews I saw look pretty good too.

Interesting.  I've had an all Ella beer and brewed a couple with them.  Never gotten the anise character.  Maybe the way they were used.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gene.letoile

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »
Mt rainier was released a few years ago when a number of other varieties were released, and the supply of hops far exceeded demand. We put in about an acre of them last spring, and they seem to be a nice aromatic hop. We really don't get much production here the first year, but should get reasonable production ( 1000 lbs?) this year. We got the rhizomes from Brulotte farms, should be some hops available someplace.

Offline PharmBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Homebrewing Pharmacist
    • Havencrest Home Brewery
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 11:22:14 am »
Looks like some still available here... Spring cleaning sale!

http://www.homebrewing.org/Mt-Rainier-US-Hop-Pellets-1-oz_p_2329.html
Jim
Havencrest Home Brewery - 5 Liter/BIAB
Member: Beaverton Homebrew Club, Oregon Mainbrew Guild, AHA
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Blaise Pascal

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 01:50:15 pm »
Mt rainier was released a few years ago when a number of other varieties were released, and the supply of hops far exceeded demand. We put in about an acre of them last spring, and they seem to be a nice aromatic hop. We really don't get much production here the first year, but should get reasonable production ( 1000 lbs?) this year. We got the rhizomes from Brulotte farms, should be some hops available someplace.

That's good to hear! I look forward to this year's harvest! :D

Offline j.massmann

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 11:53:26 am »
A little late, but try Stella.  I crafted an American stout with Mt Rainier based on the licorice descriptor.  My local shop didn't carry Mt Rainier so I went with Stella (Australian) since it has anise as a descriptor.  Was not disappointed!  They added a subtle anise/licorice accent to the stout that went really well with the roasted coffee and chocolate tones.

Offline Aksarben

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 11:35:49 pm »
This link:  http://www.greatlakeshops.com/store/p117/Mt._Rainier_-_Field_Grade.html   you can buy as little as one plant.  Fortunately I only live about 16 miles from them and can pick it up with no shipping. :)  They are in Zeeland, Michigan BTW.

Vern
Vernon

Associate Winemaker, Fenn Valley Vineyards
Fennville, MI

I was born with nothing, and have managed to keep most of it.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
I see Hops Direct is selling Mt Rainier, 2017 crop just released 12/15.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 03:37:53 pm »
Sorry to bump and old topic, but I recall brewing with mt. Rainier hops years and years ago, and quite enjoyed them, according to the most recent PNW crop report, they’re being grown again, https://washingtonbeerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/2021-Hop-Crop-Report.pdf

Anyone know where they’re for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk