Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mt. Rainier hops discontinued?  (Read 5503 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mt. Rainier hops discontinued?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 04:19:04 pm »
Sorry to bump and old topic, but I recall brewing with mt. Rainier hops years and years ago, and quite enjoyed them, according to the most recent PNW crop report, they’re being grown again, https://washingtonbeerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/2021-Hop-Crop-Report.pdf

Anyone know where they’re for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda depends on who's growing them and who they contracted with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 06:40:41 pm »
They are grown in MI by. A small farm. They don't sell to homebrewers. My local brewery has used them.

Look at Top Hops Facebook page, they were harvesting Mt Rainier in later August.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 08:21:27 pm »
They are grown in MI by. A small farm. They don't sell to homebrewers. My local brewery has used them.

Look at Top Hops Facebook page, they were harvesting Mt Rainier in later August.
This was a PNW hop crop report, so they’re being grown in hop country, but I can’t find them for sale anywhere.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 08:22:31 am »

This was a PNW hop crop report, so they’re being grown in hop country, but I can’t find them for sale anywhere.

Likely they're all contracted for.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 09:30:08 am »
Wow Teds ears must have been burning from this thread. Just got the Hop Heaven pre sale email and Mt. Rainier is on the list! Definitely gonna order a pound

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mt. Rainier hops discontinued?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 09:48:49 am »
Wow Teds ears must have been burning from this thread. Just got the Hop Heaven pre sale email and Mt. Rainier is on the list! Definitely gonna order a pound

I saw Ted’s email and thought of this thread. You beat me to it. He has whole leaf and T90 pellets in pre sale. Great minds…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 10:15:37 am »
What is more interesting is his comment about it at the top of the sheet:

Mt Ranier: the new lager hop for AB.  Don't know much about it yet      

If this is being used by AB, then I predict that supply will probably increase in the future.                     
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 11:16:24 am »

If this is being used by AB, then I predict that supply will probably increase in the future.

I wouldn't be certain of that. AB grows their own barley and hops. Seems like it would be counterproductive to release them. 

www.dennybrew.com

narvin

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 12:30:28 pm »
I bought a bunch of rhizomes from HopsDirect two years ago and one of them was Mt. Rainer.  It's one of my best producing plants, although for reasons I won't get into I wasn't able to pick them on time this year so i haven't really done a full batch yet.  I used it with Tahoma and Mt Hood in a Saison and liked the result, though I didn't notice a licorice flavor in that amount.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 02:05:34 pm »

If you look at the pnw hop crop, plantings of Mt Rainier are increasing, so something is driving it.  Glad we have Ted to get our hands on some

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2021, 02:06:46 pm »
I bought a bunch of rhizomes from HopsDirect two years ago and one of them was Mt. Rainer.  It's one of my best producing plants, although for reasons I won't get into I wasn't able to pick them on time this year so i haven't really done a full batch yet.  I used it with Tahoma and Mt Hood in a Saison and liked the result, though I didn't notice a licorice flavor in that amount.
When I used them years back, I didn’t get licorice, just spice and herbal flavors. I enjoyed it quite a bit

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2021, 12:31:46 pm »

I wouldn't be certain of that. AB grows their own barley and hops. Seems like it would be counterproductive to release them.

Hops? They use hops in their beers?

:)
Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2021, 12:56:46 pm »

Hops? They use hops in their beers?

:)

The rumor is that they hold up a hop cone and if its shadow falls on the kettle, they're good. ;)

And this is a telling line from Ted's email....."As a general note, we experienced general erosion of choice again over the past year.  While my list may look impressive, many are down to 1 farm and it makes no sense for them to grow the hops.  Volumes are thin, all it takes is one midsized brewer and the entire crop is out of your grasp."

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2021, 10:07:11 pm »
He mentions that it’s incumbent on beer drinkers to drink something besides ipas made with citra and mosaic, and I agree, at least in my area most breweries have 80% or more of their taps dedicated to ipas that all are more or less the exact same beers. It’s an erosion of choice that really sucks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2021, 07:55:54 am »
He mentions that it’s incumbent on beer drinkers to drink something besides ipas made with citra and mosaic, and I agree, at least in my area most breweries have 80% or more of their taps dedicated to ipas that all are more or less the exact same beers. It’s an erosion of choice that really sucks

As I've said before, it appears erosion of choice is regional.  Lots of choices here.

www.dennybrew.com